Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: PayPal wants my SSN...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT: PayPal wants my SSN...

    What's going on with PayPal wanting my Social Security number? Something about the government requires them to report it. Did I log in to a fake site? All the info regarding the amount of money in my account was correct. Is this something new?

  • #2
    Sounds like a scam. I haven’t heard that from them.
    Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
    Specialty products for beating dead horses.

    Comment


    • #3
      Tell them to have the government contact you - or tell them the government already knows what it is since they gave it to you in the first place.

      Comment


      • #4
        Could it be this?: https://www.tripwire.com/state-of-se...80%9D%20button.

        Ian
        All of the gear, no idea...

        Comment


        • #5
          I've received fake PP notices like that before. Forward it to their fraud dept. [email protected] I believe that's it.

          JL..............

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 6270 Productions View Post
            Tell them to have the government contact you - or tell them the government already knows what it is since they gave it to you in the first place.
            OMG, I love it ! ! ! HA ! ha! Ha!

            -D
            DZER

            Comment


            • #7
              Did you log on normally or did you clic the link in the email? You might want to get into your account and change you password

              Comment


              • #8
                The IRS is requiring PP to report the annual total sales (through eBay or other sales) of it's members. For a couple of years now, they have sent me (and the IRS) a form 1099-k in the new year at tax time. The object of the IRS I gather is to catch businesses that are trying to hide income.
                If you are not a business entity, and just selling your used stuff, the money is not taxable, and Turbo Tax tells me to ignore the form.

                I think you do need to be careful for phishing emails asking for an SSN. But if you log into your PP account and enter the SSN there, you are OK.

                What I am currently wrestling with is that eBay now wants my bank account information . I do not want to give it out, and they won't let me create any more sales listings without it. I was never happy that PP could take money directly from from checking account, and don't want to allow eBay to do it.

                Steve

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by steve-ma View Post
                  What I am currently wrestling with is that eBay now wants my bank account information . I do not want to give it out, and they won't let me create any more sales listings without it. I was never happy that PP could take money directly from from checking account, and don't want to allow eBay to do it.

                  Steve
                  Given their history, I would trust eBay far more than I would trust PayPal. That said, I do shop on eBay all the time. A lot of this may be happening because eBay and Paypal have been breaking up for a while. Paypal tries to have all the same power a bank has, but is not regulated like a bank -- they have been sued over this several times.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    ALWAYS check the email address these requests come from. You'll see they do not originate from someone like paypal. If you get sucked into it and give the data they request, you deserve to have your bank account emptied. And they will do it within 1 minute of you answering them. And since someone believes these emails, I have a deal on a bridge that you can buy cheap.

                    ebay, paypal and any other operation will not get my bank information. Again, ya gotta be pretty gullible to provide that info.They have a credit card on record and that's all they will get. And that card has limits that can be stopped by the card company. Think about it. We hear several times per year how these internet operations got hacked and that 2.5 million customers information has been stolen.

                    Any of these emails that say your this or that account, membership or whatever needs attention gets deleted. They have my phone number and will eventually call if there's a problem. And whoever calls won't have an Indian accent.
                    Last edited by I make chips; 02-26-2021, 09:12 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by steve-ma View Post
                      The IRS is requiring PP to report the annual total sales (through eBay or other sales) of it's members. For a couple of years now, they have sent me (and the IRS) a form 1099-k in the new year at tax time. The object of the IRS I gather is to catch businesses that are trying to hide income.
                      If you are not a business entity, and just selling your used stuff, the money is not taxable, and Turbo Tax tells me to ignore the form.

                      I think you do need to be careful for phishing emails asking for an SSN. But if you log into your PP account and enter the SSN there, you are OK.

                      What I am currently wrestling with is that eBay now wants my bank account information . I do not want to give it out, and they won't let me create any more sales listings without it. I was never happy that PP could take money directly from from checking account, and don't want to allow eBay to do it.

                      Steve
                      Thanks Steve. Okay, so you're aware of this. My login to PP was normal, I went to PP to verify money had been sent to me and was in my account. This was only my second time receiving money via PP since setting up the account 3 years ago. I'm not a business.

                      Whether money is taxable is a good question. If I sell something for more money than I paid for it then it would be taxable as a capital gain (I believe). I've wondered when the feds and states would start monitoring PP, eBay and Craigslist for high volume sellers. In my state sales tax would be due on sales even if there was no capital gain (again, this is only my belief). I'm aware of a couple individuals in my area who have dozens of items on CL at any one time. My guess is they aren't paying taxes on those sales.

                      A casual acquaintance has been self employed for the 25 years I've known him. When he came of age to collect SS he told me he was going to have to work until the day he dies. I replied, you'll have monthly checks, however small, from SS. He replied he had never reported any business income. He's also a big seller on CL.


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DR View Post

                        ....................

                        A casual acquaintance has been self employed for the 25 years I've known him. When he came of age to collect SS he told me he was going to have to work until the day he dies. I replied, you'll have monthly checks, however small, from SS. He replied he had never reported any business income. He's also a big seller on CL.
                        I know of a couple such folks, who were so very smart that they avoided paying any taxes......... So smart that they will not only never get any SS (no, it is NOT an "entitlement"), they also will not be on Medicare, so every penny of their medical expenses will be paid by them, at "retail" rates, which are 3x to 100x what any insurance plan pays. Or WE will pay via medicaid.

                        Yep they are smart folks, all right, look at all the money they saved by not paying taxes..... Oops, they spent it all, they haven't got anything...... they will have to go and live in the wilds of a national forest, or work until they die.
                        2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

                        Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan


                        It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If I remember correctly, they send a 1099 if you do something like $10k or $20k in sales; or by some total number of sales.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Well It says right on the card the Federal Gvt. sent me with the SS number on it, "For Social Security Purposes ONLY" . So that is what I tell everyone who asks for it. .
                            ...lew...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ridgerunner View Post
                              If I remember correctly, they send a 1099 if you do something like $10k or $20k in sales; or by some total number of sales.
                              I remember hearing something like this too. Also heard at one time that you wouldn't have to collect sales tax or charge it unless you total sales exceeded 100 K, but I lost tract of all this as I couldn't keep up with all the changes and proposals.

                              JL..................

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X