Sometimes it's silly small stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes it's silly small stuff

That gets the "attaboys" from the others in the house......

Fix for the good pair of bypass pruners that didn't have a lock lever anymore....

Shop work doesn't have to be something sexy for a hotrod etc to be useful and appreciated locally......

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Yep, I get more parole points for the little stuff. Nice job.
    Jim, By the river enjoying life...

Comment

Wednesday's project was a new hub for the squirrel cage blower for the clothes drier.
      Jim H.

Comment

That is funny, I fixed the burner selenoid on the dryer today. Must be dryer week.
        Jim, By the river enjoying life...

Comment

Must be dryer week- I used mine today. Both of them, actually. One looks suspiciously like a microwave oven. Hmm.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Another I-don't-know-how-people-live-without-a-machine-shop-in-the-basement episodes:

Sunday afternoon I was getting my Cub Cadet lawn tractor fixed up for the season. When I started cleaning the corrosion off the battery terminals, the ring lug on the positive lead snapped off. No hope of buying a new one on Sunday afternoon...so I made one.
            ----------
            Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
            Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
            Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
            There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
            Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
            Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

It's "getting-ready-for-yard-work-week" around here.

I have an idea that I haven't tried before. I was thinking of sharpening up the mower blades on the push mower and the yard tractor and then case hardening the edges. Anybody tried that? It should make them last longer.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

consider this evan

There is hard face welding rod that will put a durable edge on stuff. A friend used it on his bush hog and was pleased its performance.. All you do is weld it on the edge then sharpen the new edge,, also have seen it done to on rototillers also.
                scariest thing to hear " I am from the government and i am here to help"

Comment

Somewhere I read or hear of welding a bead on the cutting edge of a lawnmower blade and then grinding it to sharpness. Never tried it so I don't know if it would work.

Comment

I'm going to try case hardening them. It's really easy, just heat with torch, apply case hardening powder and quench.

Comment

Messing with a lawnmower blade is a bad idea, my brother in law had one break bounce off the ground , hit his shin and he got 50 stitches.

I can go buy a new blade for $16 and be safe.

Comment

"...doesn't have to be something sexy...." Yet you managed to make that about as sexy as it could be.

Evan,
                        You can sharpen lawnmower blades? Will you be able to keep your edge when you heat it for case hardening? Let us know how it goes. I'd like to try it too. If you do decide to try hardfacing rod, I think you should go with one designed for impact, not abrasion. A push mower isn't a brush hog as your ankles are much closer to the path of any object flung from the blade -- like a piece of brittle hardface rod.

Comment

Messing with a lawnmower blade is a bad idea, my brother in law had one break bounce off the ground , hit his shin and he got 50 stitches.

I can go buy a new blade for $16 and be safe.
                          You will quickly lose enthusiam for that idea around my place. I have to mow about two to three acres of "lawn" which is really just close cut weeds and alfalfa etc. to keep the fire hazard down. If I bought a new blade every time it bit the dirt I would be poor (er) very soon.

Even if heating the edge to case hardening temp rounds it off a bit a quick touch on the grinder afterward will put it back. The nice thing about case hardening is that it only penetrates the top .005 to .010" leaving the rest of the metal still ductile.

Comment

I think Mower blades are soft and plyable on purpose. How big would a chip have to be to hurt some one if you hit a rock? I know you will be on top of the mower and out of the path of the flying metal but what about the rest of the world?

Comment

Our dryer did the screech and humm this weekend. Figured it was the rollers (again) and would have to make new bushings for the cheapo plastic parts. Ha ha - lathe time! But noooo.... Just a stupid plastic bracket broke that could be easily fixed with some copper wire. Some days are just no fun.

Did earn some brownie points from the Mrs. though.
                              Tom

Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it!

Comment

Working...
                              X