Atlas lathe mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlas lathe mounting

First I would like to thank everyone who replied to my question regarding lube for my atlas lathe.

Now that I have finished the cleaning and reassemble process, next is leveling the lathe. The owners manual states that the lathe should be bolted to the floor. I would like to avoid bolting it to the floor and found listed in the Enco catalog Mason Neoprene mounts. According to the Enco catalog these mounts isolate vibration, have a 1â€‌ leveling range and no bolting to the floor required

Do these mounts work as advertised and can bolting to the floor be avoided?

The main thing is to be sure the lathe is sitting solidly and won't move. If that can be achieved without bolting the stand to the floor, you'll be fine. I would be cautious of rubber mounting pads. You don't want flex in this situation.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Bolting to the floor will provide a more rigid lathe mounting, and can help dampen unwanted vibrations. It will also prevent the lathe from moving, which can cause it to become twisted due to unevenness in the floor.

If you prefer not to bolt to the floor, suitable mounts as you describe are the next best alternate. Adding weight to the base of the cabinet or table used for mounting the lathe will help keep it in place and add damping.

It is always a good idea to recheck the lathe's level frequently regardless of the mount, as outside influences and settling can cause it to change.
      Jim H.

Comment

I cannot tell you how important level is. My SBl kept cutting a small taper no matter where the tailstock was. I finally put it on 1/2" plate bolted to the benceh and bolted the bench to the floor. I borrowed my friend's Starrett precision level and leveled it. Now it cuts with less than .001 over 18", and dead on with an unsupported piece in a collet over 4". I would bolt it down and make sure it is "dead level" in both directions. L,H&R

Comment

Working...
        X