Its A Crate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its A Crate

Looks more like a cage. This has to be the least substantial crate I have received a machine in.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bob La Londe; 03-03-2021, 11:18 AM.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

I love new machine day!!!
    Kansas City area

Comment

I probably won't have time to uncrate it for a few days. Had a crazy sales day yesterday, and I don't even have all the new jobs up on the board yet.

Well, that and the trucking company that was supposed to schedule an appointment in advance so I could arrange to have a forklift on hand just showed up out of the blue. I had to call somebody I know and ask a favor. The driver said he had to wait because my machine was blocking the rest of his deliveries. The guy I called was 45 minutes away, but he dropped what he was doing to come help... and got in an auto accident on the way. I definitely need to drop what I am doing if he needs something machined down the road. What could have been a ten minute stop for the trucking company turned into two hours, and the driver told me because of it he wouldn't have time to make all his stops and pickups. We both blamed the dispatcher who lied on the paperwork. The driver was actually a great guy who was one of the most helpful I have worked with. Maybe he just wanted my machine the heck off his truck. LOL.

the whole thing burned up a large part of my afternoon. The time I am usually most productive in the shop. I might not be going fishing this weekend either.
      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

At least you'll have somewhere to keep that gorilla standing in front of it once you've got the mill removed.
        Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

That doesn't look like the was Haas crates it's machines.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
            That doesn't look like the was Haas crates it's machines.
            Haas isn't in the budget (financial or electrical), and they don't seem to have a machine that is "just" what I need. This machine is going to get used to build two other bridge mill style machines that will be very close to "just" what I need. Large envelope, high speed spindle, modestly rigid and slightly more rigid respectively, and will run on the power I have available in my shop. I could have built them on the machines I have, but its so much more accurate to be able to cut a 30+ inch registration surface in a single setup. Well, if table sag doesn't bite me. The first machine it will build is a CNC Router to replace the little Chinese Noodle Router (limp like noodle) for those fun and sometimes profitable wood carving operations. The second I have been working on longer is a stiffer bridge mill with a 22 x 32 minimum bridge mill (my parts so far are bigger than that) for a particular style of injection mold I can't currently make in a single setup. Also high speed spindle, but also ISO20 or BT30. Probably stick with ISO20 since I can steal the tool holders from the Speedmasters when they reach end of life.

Comment

Happy new machine day Bob. Looks like a caged animal ready to eat some chips.

Comment

At least you will be able to inspect it visually before opening the cage.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
                  ... This machine is going to get used to build two other bridge mill style machines ...
                  You're going to build a bridge mil?? OK, a "bridge style" - still. You're going to have to keep us up to date on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom S View Post
                    At least you'll have somewhere to keep that gorilla standing in front of it once you've got the mill removed.
                    I recon its Bob in disguise, wearing a different hat.

Comment

Comes in a cage? Must be a Grizzly.

Comment

Looks more like a cage. This has to be the least substantial crate I have received a machine in.
                        Hahaa. Hey, love getting a new machine. Enjoy! JR

Comment

Originally posted by eKretz View Post
                          Comes in a cage? Must be a Grizzly.
                          That's funny. I wonder if somebody over at Grizzly is actually that insightful.

Its South Bend... from Grizzly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

You're going to build a bridge mil?? OK, a "bridge style" - still. You're going to have to keep us up to date on that.
                            I may. I'd love to have the time to shoot videos of a lot of the projects I do. The thing is video don't pay the bills. They don't pay anything actually, except a little bit of "it forward." Creating a video for most things takes 3 to 5 times as long as just doing it. Well sometimes simple stuff I can just one shot it with no camera cuts, but then you guys totally trash me for little stuff.

A bridge mill is just the real name for any gantry style machine as near as I can tell. It can have a moving table or a moving gantry or a hybrid of both. I was going to target 14x14 business and go with a moving table, but I really need to be able to handle the 20x30 business. (14x14 and 20x30 are common production mold sizes for some products) I have several long term good customers I'ld like to be able to continue to take care of as they grow. The biggest problem with most (as near as I can tell) bridge mills is racking. That's why a lot of the 48 x 96 and 60 x120 CNC routers have dual drives on the long axis. What I am building is substantially smaller and heavier than that. Its not going to be a 100 ton cast iron machine, but one of them is going to be made out of webbed cast iron castings. When finished it will weigh over 1000lbs, but its going to be rigid from bracing and construction methods, and racking will be prevented (unless a controller goes haywire) with dual antibacklash ballscrews on the long axis. Its not long enough to suffer from screw whip at the speeds I want to run, so the sloppier (IMO) rack and pinion setup often used on 48x96(+) machines can be dismissed. I have a lot to learn and a lot to figure out, so its a likely you might just get a periodic picture that says, "Well here it so far...still working on problems."

Last edited by Bob La Londe; 03-03-2021, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
                              I may. I'd love to have the time to shoot videos of a lot of the projects I do. The thing is video don't pay the bills. ...
                              Photos will be fine, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X