How Many Machines is Too Many?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmermachinist View Post
    Currently running: 1960 Sheldon R15, 1975 Excello 9x42, mill , 1951 Cincinnati Bickford radial drill, 1970 Ko Lee Tool and Cutter grinder, Covel 6x18 surface grinder, and a Kalmazoo horizontal bandsaw.
    Currently restoring a 1942 Sidney 16x54 Lathe
    In the restoration que: 1960 VanNorman 16, 1968 20" shaper (G&E European copy), Bridgeport Mill, 14" Rockwell lathe, DoAll vertical bandsaw, Johnson horizontal bandsaw and a Delta 6" belt sander.
    Having the time of my life!

That's excellent! 16x54 is just about the perfect size for an all-purpose lathe, in my opinion. Big enough to handle the larger "general work" jobs but not so large as to be burdensome when doing smaller work.

Hope you post some threads as you work through your que of machines! I'll try to do the same but these days it's hard to find time to do as much machine work as I'd like.

Comment

It's funny about having "time"....now retired after 43 years in radio communications...the time for projects I expected has not materialized... I really wonder how I ever got anything done before retirement.

Comment

It's worth noting that I got a LOT of work done- paying work, good work- with a worn out mill-drill and an import 9x20 lathe.

It's also worth noting that despite having a LOT more machinery these days (four lathes, three mills, two bandsaws, three drill presses, etc.) I still tend to do the majority of my work on just two machines- the Bridgeport clone, and a 10" Sheldon.

Doc.
        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

That's excellent! 16x54 is just about the perfect size for an all-purpose lathe, in my opinion. Big enough to handle the larger "general work" jobs but not so large as to be burdensome when doing smaller work.

Hope you post some threads as you work through your que of machines! I'll try to do the same but these days it's hard to find time to do as much machine work as I'd like.
          I agree ....16x54 is a good all around size. The Sidney is understated, it's actually about 18" swing and close to 60" between centers. I have some pictures and will work on a posting.
          Thanks

Comment

Read every post on this thread & appreciate every answer. However Doozer's description of his Van Norman 22LU & similar centralized feed motor mills resonated best for me! When my little Grizzly went from suggesting to screaming I get a real mill, I looked at what was available. Everyone knows the Bridgeport name, but I looked further & bought a Van Norman 24. Very happy! There was a 22M with a Universal Table (not listed as even being an option) that sold in Minnesota just 3 days ago. I would like to have a Universal Table, but the price really shot up. So I passed. I really want a 16 x 54 lathe next. 1 man can do with 1 good lathe & 1 good mill: but his order of operations MUST be spot on. I guarantee having a 2nd lathe speeds past oversights quicker than making up for any misunderstanding with the wife. Having a Bridgeport head adapted to a Cincinnati / K&T / Van Norman horizontal / vertical mill (when needed) allows more versatility than 2 wives as well!

Comment

Congratulations on the Van Norman. The Bridgeport adaption is a great idea. My first mill was a VN 6....no feeds but really stout. I learned a lot about clamping the work!

Comment

How many machines is too many?

When you have to store ANY of them out in the weather.

Comment

How many machines is too many?

When you can't close the door.

Comment

How many machines?

I'll get back to you when I win the lotto.
                    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Working...
                    X