Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tom_d View Post
    Where are you located?

I've never done business with this outfit, but I have heard some outstanding reviews on the quality of their work:

http://www.babinmachine.com
    I have, Paul a good guy. Not sure what he is doing as far as out side repair jobs. I would call him..

JL............

Comment

Originally posted by polaraligned View Post
      Joe, I will look into Hardinge repair.
      Elf, I think the warranty from C&M is a year.
      Does anyone know if these bearings are the proper ones for a Bridgeport spindle? The price certainly is right.
      https://tinyurl.com/yu6bpjdu
      They are DUL, which is a light preload. Would that produce a less stiff spindle?
      That's a good bearing and a decent price too. Angular contact, most likely ABEC 7.

I'm not sure if it is the proper replacement for the BP spindle.

When I had mine apart I can remember looking down into the housing I could see that the inside of the bearing was open. A pipe cleaner is used to wick the oil to the bearing.

What do yo mean by this?? "Would that produce a less stiff spindle"

Per load is probably determined by the application.

JL.............

Comment

I had my erickson quick change 30 spindle taper re ground and rebuilt by CM. They did an amazing job. No measurable runout I can measure. It was 2200usd tho. They put a special bearing pack on my spindle safe up to 7000rpm
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Comment

You guys are funny.

In a resent post I showed two legit brigeport spindles with new bearing sets. .

In the picture was the correct Timkin bearings, two sets of them. They are the correct bearing sets, they are 3-5 hundred bucks new. Crasy as it sounds peeps are selling used sets for money. JR

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
            What do yo mean by this?? "Would that produce a less stiff spindle"

Per load is probably determined by the application.
            with bearings like AC's that are used in pairs, what preload you want is determined by the application, what preload you get is determined by the grind of the races (or spacers if you're setting the preload).

When buying matched pairs you do state what preload you want along with all the other bearing particulars/
            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by legendboy View Post
              I had my erickson quick change 30 spindle taper re ground and rebuilt by CM. They did an amazing job. No measurable runout I can measure. It was 2200usd tho. They put a special bearing pack on my spindle safe up to 7000rpm
              That is good to hear, apart from the $2200 price. C&M does have a good reputation, and I guess they didn't use chinese bearings for that price.

How long ago was this done? Did he give you a price up front?

Comment

Maybe these guys, they are somewhat local to you: http://www.amtr1964.com/

Comment

Pictures of bluing. I used a NOS Kennemetal tool holder and had to put it on pretty heavy. Then I used a mallet to tap it tight into the spindle.
                  Turned it a quarter turn for each pic.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                    Maybe these guys, they are somewhat local to you: http://www.amtr1964.com/
                    Thank you.
                    I called them and they told me that they said it is not worth regrinding and messing with getting the QC nut to work properly. They want to sell me a NOS spindle for $1350 Might still be worth considering, though I am not made of money....and for the bearings they want over $400 more. BTW, I told the guy that the original bearings were sealed units and he said he never heard of BP using a sealed bearing.....I am convinced that there is no real expert on these machines out there.

Even if I purchased their NOS spindle, because the taper is not ground in the bearings and quill that it is to be used in, there will be more run out than there otherwise would be. I spent hours trying to find what the original BP spec for bearings is, and came up empty. The C&M Chinese bearings are sounding better...at least the guy backs up his work. I read a story about someone who crashed their mill after C&M reground it and they reground it again for free. That is good customer service.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

with bearings like AC's that are used in pairs, what preload you want is determined by the application, what preload you get is determined by the grind of the races (or spacers if you're setting the preload).

When buying matched pairs you do state what preload you want along with all the other bearing particulars/
                      Yes, I agree, I always try to replace spindle bearings with the exact same Mfg. and PN#. to avoid this kind of confusion. If that's not an option due to availability, etc. then I would have to go with what ever crosses with the original PN#. Everything should be the same. Single or duplex configuration. spacers, shim washers and or spring washers taken into consideration.

JL.............

Comment

I do not know whether removing the lower bearings from the spindle would damage them, but if it was possible and you know the exact endfloat, then a shim of the same thickness could remove all the endfloat without adding preload. As for the taper in the spindle, does it take the drive or do the slots provide the drive?

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                          As for the taper in the spindle, does it take the drive or do the slots provide the drive?
                          The dog ears are there for the drive, but the taper should fit tight just like any other tapered tool.
                          The guy at C&W said he grinds a slight bit out of the center of the taper so the tool contacts more on the ends and not in the middle. He said this helps compensate for wear. I don't know....
                          Last edited by polaraligned; 03-05-2021, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Since the taper does not provide the drive, I was wondering how much runout the bad taper causes on the tooling used.

Comment

Originally posted by polaraligned View Post
                              Thank you.
                              I called them and they told me that they said it is not worth regrinding and messing with getting the QC nut to work properly. They want to sell me a NOS spindle for $1350 Might still be worth considering, though I am not made of money....and for the bearings they want over $400 more. BTW, I told the guy that the original bearings were sealed units and he said he never heard of BP using a sealed bearing.....I am convinced that there is no real expert on these machines out there.

Even if I purchased their NOS spindle, because the taper is not ground in the bearings and quill that it is to be used in, there will be more run out than there otherwise would be. I spent hours trying to find what the original BP spec for bearings is, and came up empty. The C&M Chinese bearings are sounding better...at least the guy backs up his work. I read a story about someone who crashed their mill after C&M reground it and they reground it again for free. That is good customer service.
                              There are indeed some real experts on those machines out there. Go to cnczone in the Bridgeport section, there are a couple guys there that were bridgeport techs and know the machines inside and out. The original bearings were modified and hand selected at the factory.

Here is a thread with lots of good info on bridgeport spindle bearings. https://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridg...earing-id.html

Comment

I need to get my ID spindle attachment hooked up on my
                                Brown Sharpe #13 grinder. I could grind spindle tapers
                                for you guys a lot cheaper than the prices I see here.

-Doozer
                                DZER

Comment

Working...
                                X