Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need my Bridgeport spindle reground.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    From Suburban's Tool's channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmplff_f5pI

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

      Here is a thread with lots of good info on bridgeport spindle bearings. https://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridg...earing-id.html
      That was a good article. Kinda why I mentioned bearings earlier. I have a boss5 and was looking for bearings and learned a lot. Not as much as those guys

      They are expensive if I remember and have to be matched. And the lil one dont forget, it can be a 3 bearing. JR

      Three matched sets. If I remember they were a couple hundred ea. People were even selling "good" used sets when I was looking lol.. JR

      Click image for larger version

Name:	bearings.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	3.56 MB
ID:	1932092

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by JRouche View Post

        That was a good article. Kinda why I mentioned bearings earlier. I have a boss5 and was looking for bearings and learned a lot. Not as much as those guys

        They are expensive if I remember and have to be matched. And the lil one dont forget, it can be a 3 bearing. JR

        Three matched sets. If I remember they were a couple hundred ea. People were even selling "good" used sets when I was looking lol.. JR
        Yes, that guy NC cams was a real perfectionist, his nickname came from his trade, he made camshafts for Nascar. Unfortunately, he passed away a few years ago. There are a couple other guys on that cnczone bridgeport forum that worked for bridgeport as well and really know their stuff.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

          Yes, that guy NC cams was a real perfectionist, his nickname came from his trade, he made camshafts for Nascar. Unfortunately, he passed away a few years ago. There are a couple other guys on that cnczone bridgeport forum that worked for bridgeport as well and really know their stuff.
          Wow.. Sorry to here about his passing, lost knowledge.

          I dont go to the Bridgeport section. I should visit it more. Thanks. JR

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by JRouche View Post
            I have a boss5
            I had to google what Boss 5 looks like....then I realized I think I have one lol. Looks like this? https://machmotion.com/wp-content/up...020/11/235.png

            What defines it as a Boss 5 - the CNC? rigid ram? era?

            Mine is still in an extremely protracted phase of converting from the cranky old steppers to Yaskawa servos. Really embarrassing how long its taken, cripes, I had hair back when I started it! My goal is to have it running before additive machining makes CNC obsolete...the race is on!

            electrical box coming along....slowly. to cram as much in the shop as I have, things like access to electrical boxes are less than roomy. Still, some progress







            Last edited by Mcgyver; 03-06-2021, 08:13 AM.
            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

            Comment


            • #36
              I have used C&M several times at when I worked cnc maintenance and they are great. I have also been to their shop and bought parts from them. My tool grinder had all of its spindles rebuilt by them as well and they are very smooth.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post


                What defines it as a Boss 5 - the CNC? rigid ram? era?
                I had a Series 1 BOSS 5 before my current Series 2 BOSS 6. The Series 1 BOSS 5 did not have the rigid ram, so that is not a defining feature. Best I can tell, BOSS 1 thru BOSS 6 were primarily defined by the use of stepper motors and a DEC LSI-11 based control. I believe that the BOSS series were just incremental improvements, mostly to software. BOSS stands for Bridgeport Operating System Software, and I think the numbers indicate a major control revision. The machines may vary a bit, but there are no real major revisions to the iron. The Series 2 BOSS machines were a complete new iron design for the BOSS series.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by macona View Post
                  I have used C&M several times at when I worked cnc maintenance and they are great. I have also been to their shop and bought parts from them. My tool grinder had all of its spindles rebuilt by them as well and they are very smooth.
                  Thanks. It looks like I will be sending my spindle there tomorrow.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by polaraligned View Post

                    I had a Series 1 BOSS 5 before my current Series 2 BOSS 6. The Series 1 BOSS 5 did not have the rigid ram, so that is not a defining feature. Best I can tell, BOSS 1 thru BOSS 6 were primarily defined by the use of stepper motors and a DEC LSI-11 based control. I believe that the BOSS series were just incremental improvements, mostly to software. BOSS stands for Bridgeport Operating System Software, and I think the numbers indicate a major control revision. The machines may vary a bit, but there are no real major revisions to the iron. The Series 2 BOSS machines were a complete new iron design for the BOSS series.
                    good info, thanks
                    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

                      I had to google what Boss 5 looks like....then I realized I think I have one lol. Looks like this?
                      No..

                      If some one would have asked me, you think Mac has a Bridgeport Boss three, five or nine> I would have said maybe, I dont know. JR

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

                        Yes, that guy NC cams was a real perfectionist, his nickname came from his trade, he made camshafts for Nascar. Unfortunately, he passed away a few years ago. There are a couple other guys on that cnczone bridgeport forum that worked for bridgeport as well and really know their stuff.
                        Yes. Dont forget about the other company.. JR

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          [QUOTE=JoeLee;n1931851]I don't even put Chinese bearings in my lawn mower blade spindles let alone my mill.

                          A very high percentage of replacement bearing from John Deere &Case New Holland are made in China,not cheap to buy!


                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Yeah, my boss5 is bot unlike John's (JS) Bridgeport.

                            Ah-Ha control, both ours. JT

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              [QUOTE=Tundra Twin Track;n1932596]
                              Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                              I don't even put Chinese bearings in my lawn mower blade spindles let alone my mill.

                              A very high percentage of replacement bearing from John Deere &Case New Holland are made in China,not cheap to buy!

                              Yes, I know. That's because those companies have the bearings made to their specs and you're buying those bearings through them. Big markup.

                              JL....

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

                                I had to google what Boss 5 looks like....then I realized I think I have one lol. Looks like this? https://machmotion.com/wp-content/up...020/11/235.png

                                What defines it as a Boss 5 - the CNC? rigid ram? era?

                                Mine is still in an extremely protracted phase of converting from the cranky old steppers to Yaskawa servos. Really embarrassing how long its taken, cripes, I had hair back when I started it! My goal is to have it running before additive machining makes CNC obsolete...the race is on!

                                electrical box coming along....slowly. to cram as much in the shop as I have, things like access to electrical boxes are less than roomy. Still, some progress






                                Hahaa, haa. Mac cant keep track of a tool

                                Id call him an Idiot but have been told I cant do that. JR Idiot "_

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X