Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old mart
    replied
    You must be very pleased, those are text book blue markings. You can get tapered socket wipers on ebay which are handy. I got a couple of BT30 ones for the R8 spindle of the Tom Senior mill. The angle of taper is similar and there are no pins in the bore.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by polaraligned View Post
    Time to lay off the bottle JR....
    Hey! Thats rude... I would have given you a Factory spindle that I have.

So the grind looks good on camera. Pollably much better in person. Nice work.

Now Bearings! Setting bearings can be difficult. JR

Leave a comment:

• polaraligned
    replied
    I got my spindle back from C&M. It looks like a work of art, hopefully it will perform as good as it looks. It might take me a week or more to get it installed as I am in the process of redoing my Centroid.

C&M shipped the spindle and just sent me an invoice due in 30 days. Very impressive as I am not a big company, but rather just a nobody.

Leave a comment:

• polaraligned
    replied
    Time to lay off the bottle JR....

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    [QUOTE=polaraligned;n1931950]Pictures of bluing. I used a N Kennemetal tool hold

Yeah, I have tool holders also. Big f uckin deal; BFD...

They are not all the same. They will be labeled. JR

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

I had to google what Boss 5 looks like....then I realized I think I have one lol. Looks like this? https://machmotion.com/wp-content/up...020/11/235.png

What defines it as a Boss 5 - the CNC? rigid ram? era?

Mine is still in an extremely protracted phase of converting from the cranky old steppers to Yaskawa servos. Really embarrassing how long its taken, cripes, I had hair back when I started it! My goal is to have it running before additive machining makes CNC obsolete...the race is on!

electrical box coming along....slowly. to cram as much in the shop as I have, things like access to electrical boxes are less than roomy. Still, some progress

Hahaa, haa. Mac cant keep track of a tool

Id call him an Idiot but have been told I cant do that. JR Idiot "_

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    [QUOTE=Tundra Twin Track;n1932596]
    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    I don't even put Chinese bearings in my lawn mower blade spindles let alone my mill.

A very high percentage of replacement bearing from John Deere &Case New Holland are made in China,not cheap to buy!

Yes, I know. That's because those companies have the bearings made to their specs and you're buying those bearings through them. Big markup.

JL....

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Yeah, my boss5 is bot unlike John's (JS) Bridgeport.

Ah-Ha control, both ours. JT

Leave a comment:

• Tundra Twin Track
    replied
    [QUOTE=JoeLee;n1931851]I don't even put Chinese bearings in my lawn mower blade spindles let alone my mill.

A very high percentage of replacement bearing from John Deere &Case New Holland are made in China,not cheap to buy!

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

Yes, that guy NC cams was a real perfectionist, his nickname came from his trade, he made camshafts for Nascar. Unfortunately, he passed away a few years ago. There are a couple other guys on that cnczone bridgeport forum that worked for bridgeport as well and really know their stuff.
    Yes. Dont forget about the other company.. JR

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied

I had to google what Boss 5 looks like....then I realized I think I have one lol. Looks like this?
    No..

If some one would have asked me, you think Mac has a Bridgeport Boss three, five or nine> I would have said maybe, I dont know. JR

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by polaraligned View Post

I had a Series 1 BOSS 5 before my current Series 2 BOSS 6. The Series 1 BOSS 5 did not have the rigid ram, so that is not a defining feature. Best I can tell, BOSS 1 thru BOSS 6 were primarily defined by the use of stepper motors and a DEC LSI-11 based control. I believe that the BOSS series were just incremental improvements, mostly to software. BOSS stands for Bridgeport Operating System Software, and I think the numbers indicate a major control revision. The machines may vary a bit, but there are no real major revisions to the iron. The Series 2 BOSS machines were a complete new iron design for the BOSS series.
    good info, thanks

Leave a comment:

• polaraligned
    replied
    Originally posted by macona View Post
    I have used C&M several times at when I worked cnc maintenance and they are great. I have also been to their shop and bought parts from them. My tool grinder had all of its spindles rebuilt by them as well and they are very smooth.
    Thanks. It looks like I will be sending my spindle there tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• polaraligned
    replied

What defines it as a Boss 5 - the CNC? rigid ram? era?
    I had a Series 1 BOSS 5 before my current Series 2 BOSS 6. The Series 1 BOSS 5 did not have the rigid ram, so that is not a defining feature. Best I can tell, BOSS 1 thru BOSS 6 were primarily defined by the use of stepper motors and a DEC LSI-11 based control. I believe that the BOSS series were just incremental improvements, mostly to software. BOSS stands for Bridgeport Operating System Software, and I think the numbers indicate a major control revision. The machines may vary a bit, but there are no real major revisions to the iron. The Series 2 BOSS machines were a complete new iron design for the BOSS series.

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    I have used C&M several times at when I worked cnc maintenance and they are great. I have also been to their shop and bought parts from them. My tool grinder had all of its spindles rebuilt by them as well and they are very smooth.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X