Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap universal electrical adapter warning.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap universal electrical adapter warning.

Just something to be wary of.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/safety...rsal-adapters/

Good heads up --- as long as it does not hurt pets,,, keep an eye on pooches who like to lick everything, as far as it taking out humans --- that's just a bonus...

Comment

That looks like a very poor design. No solid connection between plug blades and socket, and the ground pin is not connected at all!
      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Right up there with the chinese copy "circuit breakers" that have a piece of heavy stranded wire from input to output.... No change if you turn them "off".
        CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Stop creating hysteria.
          It is not a problem.
          No one cares.
          --Doozer the dickhead

DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
            Stop creating hysteria.
            It is not a problem.
            No one cares.
            --Doozer the dickhead
            lol --- Doozer I think the world is beating me down --- i tend to agree with you on this one, but keep in mind - as long as it does not hurt pets lol

Comment

Light 'em up !
              It ain't gunna kill a dog licking an outlet.
              Bet he won't do it again.

Told you I was a cold hearted dick.

-D
              DZER

Comment

"Creating hysteria"?

Crock of crap.

It does show the lengths to which some folks will go to make a buck with something that:

1) Probably does what it was made to do, even though in an incomplete and extremely poor fashion.

2) Is made in a way that is so close to being "OK" that you wonder why they did not just make it correctly.

3) Would almost certainly not have cost any more to make in a way that functioned correctly.

"Outlet shutters"? Waaaahh Waaaaaah. Yeah they do something, I'd put them in the shop, because swarf doesn't have the good sense not to get into an outlet.

Large openings? Needed to do the job. See line above EDIT: Why does the "adapter" have an opening to fit the plug it adapts FROM? Stupid. Ditching that would make the holes smaller.

Not connecting the ground pin? Well, why the hell waste the brass putting the pin on it then? Use plastic. A two wire adapter is perfectly OK. It's telling the lie that it is grounded that is a problem.

The stupidest feature (aside from the grounding lie) is that apparently the connection from pins to socket section is only by pressure on the end of the pin against the socket contact. Maybe supposed to go in the hole, but didn't, based on the burn mark.

Hysteria? Well the maker of the page seems to have very little clue on this one. But is not being "hysterical".
                Last edited by J Tiers; 03-07-2021, 11:28 AM.

Comment

BigClivedotCom on YouToob occasionally talks about unsafe CCC electrical items on his channel. He's shown other products where the ground pin isn't connected to anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Told you I was a cold hearted dick.

-D
                    I think we need to get you back to reminiscing about choosing between beautiful machine tools and attractive women..

Comment

Looks to me like the earth connection is made just like the other two connections -- the plug contacts the stamped piece.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato coupe View Post
                        Looks to me like the earth connection is made just like the other two connections -- the plug contacts the stamped piece.
                        One of course assumes that the writer checked for contact. Given the general nature of the article, maybe that is a poor assumption.

In any case, the "contact" made is probably just as good as to the others, including the arced contact, which clearly was failing. I do not think for a millisecond that if it WAS (by some chance of tolerances), making contact ( it is stated not to be) that it would make the device any better.

The odd thing is that the same design features could have been made far better, and perhaps even UL recognizable. I guess that was too much trouble.🙄

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                          The odd thing is that the same design features could have been made far better, and perhaps even UL recognizable.
                          It has a CE mark, which is appropriate for something used in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato coupe View Post
                            It has a CE mark, which is appropriate for something used in the UK.
                            A FAKE CE mark, surely.

In case you were not aware of this, CE electrical and UL have been "harmonized"...... which means that testing for one is really testing for both with a few caveats. (UL rolled over and accepted CE)

The puzzling thing is that they made an adapter FROM UK outlets, which FITS UK plugs.... plugs which could be directly plugged-in.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                              The puzzling thing is that they made an adapter FROM UK outlets, which FITS UK plugs.... plugs which could be directly plugged-in.
                              That's easy to understand. It's cheaper to manufacture one female half, which gets mated to various male halves. It wouldn't make economic sense to manufacture a unique female half for every male half.

Comment

Working...
                              X