Slitting Saws ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slitting Saws ?

I started to slit the part on the left with my 4" x .016 slitting saw. It was going OK, a bit slow but the teeth are fine.

I went straight in with it. Got in about 1/4" and decided back it out. When the teeth got to the cut it started to bind. I found it strange since it cut in with no problem and I wasn't in deep enough for the slit to start to close up.
    The saw measures about .015 on the inside or behind the teeth. Measuring across the teeth I get about .0165. It should have backed right out. Not sure if they are hollow ground or taper towards the hole. Not the first time I've had trouble with this particular cutter.

Don't have this issues with my 2 1/2" dia. ones unless the part closes up on the cutter but even then I was always able to slide it out.

JL.................

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210309-134650.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	1932854

All of mine are hollow ground if they are for deeper cuts. But the fine tooth type are not really good at deep cuts, because the swarf clogs the gullets.

What you ran into could have been swarf stuck in the gullet and bulging out the sides as pressure was relieved on it.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Material closes up on saw blades all the time.
      You got to expect that. Don't fret when it happens.
      Spend more money on a new blade and have at it again,

-Doozer
      DZER

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
        All of mine are hollow ground if they are for deeper cuts. But the fine tooth type are not really good at deep cuts, because the swarf clogs the gullets.

What you ran into could have been swarf stuck in the gullet and bulging out the sides as pressure was relieved on it.
        I thought of that but was brushing it as I was cutting. It didn't look like there was any swarf in the gullets.
        I later tried to slip the cutter back into the slot and it wouldn't go. Perhaps it did start to close up a little but I find it hard to believe that would happen at 1/4" DOC.

Guess I'm going to have to get some larger dia. coarse tooth cutters. I've never had this problem with my small dia. coarse tooth cutters.

JL............

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
          Material closes up on saw blades all the time.
          You got to expect that. Don't fret when it happens.
          Spend more money on a new blade and have at it again,

-Doozer
          Yes, I've had that happen before. I especially remember the time I was parting a ring that I made out of cored bronze. When I broke through the inside wall of the ring it bit down hard on the cutter but I was still able to back it out. When I did the ring snapped close tight.

It was this ring here that I made for the weights for my balancing hubs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image065.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	1932910

JL.................

Comment

Can anyone make heads or tails of this chart?? I'm trying to see what thicknesses they offer in 3 1/2" and 4" dia. Not a very user friendly web site.

I'm trying to find slitting saws in 3", 3 1/2" and or 4" OD x 1/64" and 1/32" thick.

https://www.globus-wapienica.com/div...tting.237.html

JL...............
            Last edited by JoeLee; 03-10-2021, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X