Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old mart
    replied
    I use APKT 11 and APKT16 sizes in holders from 10mm to 80mm, I particularly like the aluminium grades, even the cheap ones are pretty good.

I looked on ebay for APKT sizes and found 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, and 17. I gave up looking after 4 pages.
    Last edited by old mart; 03-11-2021, 02:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ian B
    replied
    I recently bought the Chinese version of this - Chinese 40 Int shank, cutter body and inserts. I bought 3 sizes, 30mm, 50mm and 80mm diameter. All I can say is, for the price, I'm very impressed. Certainly good enough for what I need them for.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• eKretz
    replied
    Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post

These ones aren’t that cheap also,I believe tool around $350 & inserts $17 each US dollars
    No you're right, they aren't. The XOMX in the size I use (1806) are closer to $20-$24 apiece. The cutter (3") is over $800 new.
    Last edited by eKretz; 03-11-2021, 01:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tundra Twin Track
    replied
    Originally posted by mc_n_g View Post
    I have some APKT 1003 insert end mills in 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4" and they work great. Bought specific aluminum cutting grade with ground edge and a bunch of coated inserts for steel. Very good results you just have to pay attention to the feedback from the mill and cut to adjust feed and speed rates.
    While the 1003 are smaller they cut well, just pay attention to what you buy. There are also 1505 and 1604 sized APKT inserts.
    Thanks for insight,did not know APKT came in other sizes other than 1604 series.

Leave a comment:

• mc_n_g
    replied
    I have some APKT 1003 insert end mills in 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4" and they work great. Bought specific aluminum cutting grade with ground edge and a bunch of coated inserts for steel. Very good results you just have to pay attention to the feedback from the mill and cut to adjust feed and speed rates.
    While the 1003 are smaller they cut well, just pay attention to what you buy. There are also 1505 and 1604 sized APKT inserts.

Leave a comment:

• Tundra Twin Track
    replied
    Originally posted by eKretz View Post
    If you like those you should try the XOMX. They cut almost like a solid carbide endmill, very smooth. But very expensive.
    These ones aren’t that cheap also,I believe tool around $350 & inserts $17 each US dollars

Leave a comment:

• Tundra Twin Track
    replied
    Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
    What are those inserts called? I tried googling the numbers on the sides of the boxes but got nothing.
    The Ingersoll site listed them as Multi if I read it correctly.
    Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    What diameter is that? It appears to be around 1"/25mm. And what diameter is the shank? 3/4? 7/8"?

I am planning on getting a good indexable end mill, but I was thinking something a bit larger in diameter. Perhaps they make a 2" one with those inserts.

End Mill is 1-1/2” with 1-1/4” Shank coolant through which my Mill is not setup for yet. Click image for larger version

Name:	953DA198-7F3B-4452-A495-279F291BB584.png
Views:	343
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	1932964

Leave a comment:

• eKretz
    replied
    Originally posted by IanPendle View Post

They look to be very similar to the Sandvik 390 / R390 series of inserts. I believe(?) that the generic name for that style may be APKT - might help you in your searching?

Ian.
    Yes the O.P. cutter has APKT inserts. They are pretty good and quite smooth cutting. XOMX are not compatible, they are Seco only as far as I'm aware. I don't know about R390, I've never gotten to try those, and they are Sandvik proprietary AFAIK.

Leave a comment:

• I make chips
    replied
    I have nothing but kudos on this stye of mill cutter. I have a 2 inch wuhanium cheapie on R8 and IIRC it cost around $35. For that price I figured what the hell if it's junk I'm not out much and I clicky'd the ebay gimme button. I run the heck out of it and it works well. It will hog .150 on my 80 year old worn out mill and provide a good finish. As a hobbyist It gets used maybe 1-2 times per month. I bought a couple boxes of inserts for it but I think the OEM inserts seemingly will last another 5 years before I have to flip them..
    Last edited by I make chips; 03-10-2021, 06:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MattiJ
    replied
    Originally posted by IanPendle View Post

They look to be very similar to the Sandvik 390 / R390 series of inserts. I believe(?) that the generic name for that style may be APKT - might help you in your searching?

Ian.
    IIRC Sandvik 390, APKT and XOMX are all slightly different from each other and don’t really mix and match.

APKT is ”defacto” standard for cheap chinese tools.
    SEKT might be also worth a look if you are after face mill only.

Leave a comment:

• IanPendle
    replied
    Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
    What are those inserts called? I tried googling the numbers on the sides of the boxes but got nothing.

Ian.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    What diameter is that? It appears to be around 1"/25mm. And what diameter is the shank? 3/4? 7/8"?

I am planning on getting a good indexable end mill, but I was thinking something a bit larger in diameter. Perhaps they make a 2" one with those inserts.

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
    Got around to using this Ingersoll Endmill and was very pleased how it works,was side milling steel 1/4” cut ,steel was 1/2” thick. Click image for larger version  Name:	47BC15CC-404F-40A5-B693-B8AB09C279FE.png Views:	82 Size:	4.72 MB ID:	1932917

Leave a comment:

• DennisCA
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bborr01
    replied
    Originally posted by Doozer View Post
    Nice ! ! !
    When that shape insert first came out,
    I trued a face mill with them, and I was hooked.
    Best finish and least amount of spline hammering
    out of anything I had used since. They work well.

--D
    I think when they came out they called them feed mills.

Leave a comment:

• eKretz
    replied
    If you like those you should try the XOMX. They cut almost like a solid carbide endmill, very smooth. But very expensive.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X