OT; Windows update KB890830

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT; Windows update KB890830

How would I prevent MRT from being installed?
    I uncheck the box in Update but the icon still shows, go back in and it's still there.
    Problem is, it will install anyway when I shutdown the computer.
    Click Start, Shutdown, there's the icon and it'll install then.
    anyway to prevent?
    Install then remove?
    Len

Gotta ask, what is MRT?

Sarge41

Comment

Originally posted by sarge41 View Post
      Gotta ask, what is MRT?

Sarge41
      "Malicious software Removal Tool."
      I use Malwarebyte so I see no reason to add Microsoft's offering.

Time was there'd be 10 people responding by now!
      Must be in Zoom meetings or something.
      Len

Comment

The rest of us were trying to find MRT when MS calls it MSRT. No need to reply if we can't contribute much.

Dan
        P.S. I was a professional Linux guy, so there's that too. I don't do Windows.
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

You may not be able to uninstall it (every MS update will put it back in anyway) BUT maybe there's a way to simply disable it from running at startup. I'm not current enough to know, last time I used MS was when Win98 came out. Back then, you could edit autoexec.bat to select which programs were started at boot time.

Like Dan, I moved on to a much nicer thing. Nowadays using FreeBSD at home -- its a full-on UNIX server, although I don't offer any services the security on those machines is much, much better than any of the consumer outfits.
          Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 03-10-2021, 04:01 PM.
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I saw this posted somewhere (maybe here?).
            "Set internet/network to 'metered connection', that way it will only download security fixes and not new features or useless fluff".

Microsoft probably considers MSRT to be a security fix though.

Comment

I run Malwarebytes like you and many people but don't have a problem with letting windows defender also running. Not sure what harm there is
              leaving MSRT considering the only problem you are having is having difficulty in removing it.
              John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post
                I run Malwarebytes like you and many people but don't have a problem with letting windows defender also running. Not sure what harm there is
                leaving MSRT considering the only problem you are having is having difficulty in removing it.
                Same here, I have both. No issues with either.

JL.....

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                  The rest of us were trying to find MRT when MS calls it MSRT. No need to reply if we can't contribute much.

Dan
                  P.S. I was a professional Linux guy, so there's that too. I don't do Windows.
                  Some people have trouble spelling Google I guess. ;p~~~~

https://www.google.com/search?client...&q=MRT+windows

Len

Comment

In Windows Settings you can manage updates, but only their timing, IIRC. There is another, stricter, option to prohibit updates altogether. It's a Registry setting, again IIRC. I did that but there came an update where Microsoft did the update anyhow (too important, I suppose). Sigh.

I found the strong version with Google "Windows 10 update prevention" or some such. The Google hits were mostly about using Settings, but in the noise there was the other process. It's coming back - it was in a Microsoft forum.

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post

https://www.google.com/search?client...&q=MRT+windows
                      I shouldn't have to look up the acronym's you used to provide input to solve your problem.
                      You might want to Google "how do I create a proper problem statement"

Comment

Run both... don't assume they are both up to date at the same time. Seconds, minutes, days can count. We have have different systems at work, 2 look at everything in and out of the network, one (sometimes 2) on the computer.
                        Last edited by lakeside53; 03-10-2021, 10:45 PM.

Comment

If I remember correctly, the MSRT utility also has something to do with 'verifying' that your windows copy is legal. MS will never let it be disabled.
                          Southwest Utah

Comment

Originally posted by Bmyers View Post

I shouldn't have to look up the acronym's you used to provide input to solve your problem.
                            You might want to Google "how do I create a proper problem statement"
                            Yes, you probably shouldn't have to, but anyone with pertinent information to offer wouldn't have to and anyone with a modicum of interest would be delighted to.
                            Len

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post

LOL

I come from the old days, when Unix Gurus were expected to have read the documentation and to remember the syntax for every system call. And I could do it! If you did not recognize the significance of 'tuna fish' in regards to file systems you did not deserve the title of Guru.

We didn't need no steenkin google!

Seriously, I did google the KB and the string that you gave. I saw a mismatch between the google results I was seeing and the string supplied in the post, so chose not to clutter up the thread with questions for clarification. I left that to Sarge41 to do for me.

Dan
                              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X