Strange SB lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange SB lathe

No tool holder, no tailstock, no feed screw(?). Taper attachment? Surely a specific-purpose machine, but what purpose?

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tl...286452019.html

Maybe setup to carry a belt grinder/polisher on that bar? Hardly qualifies as a lathe now, “one owner” or not.

Comment

if it's a taper attachment it has to be a non-adjustable one. Some kind of grinder, like SVS mentioned, but then why bother with the bar? You could just mount it on the tool post. Looks like an SB9A that has had the gearbox removed. At best it's a part machine - the 9A apron would be worth something, ditto countershaft and what looks like a collet closer. Not $900 worth of parts though..

Comment

Hard to make out pics on my phone, but shaft looks to be mounted in pillow block bearings. Might power the grinder.

I think the stuff attached the top slide is the key.

Zuchini peeler??

Comment

Originally posted by SVS View Post
          Zuchini peeler??
          It's a baby carrot maker.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
            No tool holder, no tailstock, no feed screw(?). Taper attachment? Surely a specific-purpose machine, but what purpose?

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/tl...286452019.html
            I saw that ad as well, Bob. And I wondered the same thing. And I have no good ideas. Perhaps we should ask the "original owner" surely they would know...

Comment

There is a what looks like a cog/timing belt running from that shaft in the back to what is mounted on the “cross slide”.

Its hard to tell if the belt is just around those 2 or it goes down below to something else.

Comment

Nah....

It's a way to extract as much money from a worthless item as is possible on Craig's list, by asking a price that would be high even if it were the usual SB lathe.

It's NOT a "Southbend lathe", it may have once been one. But it isn't now, and likely was made for a particular purpose perhaps by Southbend themselves. Describing it as a "Southbend lathe" is a bit beyond "artistic liberty", and I surely hope nobody buys it thinking it really is one.

If someone wants parts, fine. But they will have the sense not to pay that for them.
                CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Half nut engage lever sawed off?

Comment

Originally posted by Grateful Ted View Post
                    Half nut engage lever sawed off?
                    Sawed off, or broken off. Could be this was a worn or broken lathe repurposed for a specific job. From what my fuzzy eyes can see the bed ways don't look too bad up near the head stock. Looks like a good candidate as a parts machine for a restoration, but not at the current asking price. Always did prefer the V belt style pulleys.

Comment

If he is original owner he should know.
                      certainly have a bit if value if it has an easy life and has no wear.. I see good set of ways , pulleys shafts and drives, and important good back gears ... maybe..
                      when used in production loathes we're often a bunch of them in a row... if you did not need all the features on one, that had steady work for it, it would make sense to doer it set up a certain way. .

Comment

I reached out to the seller and they responded pretty quickly. Apparently it was setup to "lap small holes". Seller was very respectful and mentioned that they had reached out to SB to find a manual and parts list. Reading between the lines, I wouldn't be surprised if the original owner has passed away and it is now the son or daughter selling the machine. Just speculation on my part but I'd say cut the seller some slack. It ain't worth $900 but it may be a simple case of ignorance rather than a willful attempt to rip someone off.
                        ​​​​​

Comment

Quite possibly. The result to a less than knowledgeable potential buyer can be the same, however.

Maybe I'm just too sensitive there. I have sold several machines, and in some cases I have just told buyers that the machine I have is not what they need. That's if they have told me what they want to do. One of them was eventually bought by someone who just said "fine, I'll take it, paid up, and hauled it away. I had set the price higher than I expected it was worth, just for negotiating room, and he paid that without any haggling. Mine not to question why......
                          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Originally posted by oxford View Post
                            There is a what looks like a cog/timing belt running from that shaft in the back to what is mounted on the “cross slide”.

Its hard to tell if the belt is just around those 2 or it goes down below to something else.
                            When I saw the pics I thought Belt feed.

Its old. Look at the tail stock.

Anyway. Thats an old belt fed machine. JR

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                              Quite possibly. The result to a less than knowledgeable potential buyer can be the same, however.

Maybe I'm just too sensitive there. I have sold several machines, and in some cases I have just told buyers that the machine I have is not what they need. That's if they have told me what they want to do. One of them was eventually bought by someone who just said "fine, I'll take it, paid up, and hauled it away. I had set the price higher than I expected it was worth, just for negotiating room, and he paid that without any haggling. Mine not to question why......
                              Caveat emptor! Why is it the sellers responsibility to become an expert on machine tools? If they are clearing out an estate, I wouldn't want them to become experts... it works both ways after all. Some sellers overprice but some sellers will underprice and provide us with great opportunities to own interesting machines.

The difference with you is that you ARE an "expert" - if you failed to tell a buyer what you knew about a machine and its suitability for the task that the buyer had in mind... well I would say that is somewhat less than honorable because you are intentionally withholding information.

Just my $0.02

Comment

Working...
                              X