Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Anyone have Windows Update 20H2 install itself? What happened then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Anyone have Windows Update 20H2 install itself? What happened then?

It seems to have installed itself on the computer here.

First thing I noticed is that it took me about 5 minutes to get the computer to respond at all, I actually was beginning to think it was bricked. I had had it on, and when I came back, it was off, did not respond to hitting a key (normally brings it back) and did not respond to the power button either.

I finally pulled the charger out of the computer, closed the computer (it's a laptop) and waited a while. I would have pulled the battery, but it is internal on this one. After a few minutes I opened it, and held the power down for about 15 seconds. It did eventually start up just as if nothing had happened, and is working fine now.

Anyone else had problems with this update?

(Please don't bother to tell me to change to Linux, my programs all run on Windows, and I have no wish to throw away the investment and use something that happens to run on Linux)

CNC machines only go through the motions

I've been using it for some time without any problems, my AMD based pc's have it, but the Intel i3 laptop won't upgrade yet.

Comment

I see that 20H2 is ready to install and I will probably set that in motion when we go for our trip to the supermarket today.

As a general rule I never interfere with Windows when it is doing an update, I just leave it strictly alone and so far it has always got through it stuff. Messing with the power button is never a good idea except when Windows has been apparently dead for a few hours, overnight even.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
        I see that 20H2 is ready to install and I will probably set that in motion when we go for our trip to the supermarket today.

As a general rule I never interfere with Windows when it is doing an update, I just leave it strictly alone and so far it has always got through it stuff. Messing with the power button is never a good idea except when Windows has been apparently dead for a few hours, overnight even.
        That was NOT "during" the update. It updated last night, and I saw the "completed" screen. I had to wait for it before I got to bed, so I am certain. This was a different behavior seen today, long after the update completed, and the computer had been used for some time.

It appeared to be, and may in fact be, a difference due to the update, since it has never happened before.

You are correct, definitely do not mess around during an update, particularly if it is an update from the vendor (not MS) that includes a BIOS update. If you mess up a BIOS update, you may actually brick the computer.

However, that warning does not apply in this case.

BTW, it did not offer me a choice to decline, it just said "it's happening, don't turn off the computer".
        Last edited by J Tiers; 03-10-2021, 05:42 PM.

Comment

FWIW, I just got my first Windows box in 25 yrs specifically for Solidworks. If I can find a way to keep it off the network altogether, I will.
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
            FWIW, I just got my first Windows box in 25 yrs specifically for Solidworks. If I can find a way to keep it off the network altogether, I will.
            If you go to the Centroid website and look up their Tech Bulletin TB-310, there is a download there that will completely stop windows from updating or ever bothering you. You can't be running a CNC controller and having "the man" pushing updates and other BS off on you.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

That was NOT "during" the update. It updated last night, and I saw the "completed" screen. I had to wait for it before I got to bed, so I am certain. This was a different behavior seen today, long after the update completed, and the computer had been used for some time.

It appeared to be, and may in fact be, a difference due to the update, since it has never happened before.

You are correct, definitely do not mess around during an update, particularly if it is an update from the vendor (not MS) that includes a BIOS update. If you mess up a BIOS update, you may actually brick the computer.

However, that warning does not apply in this case.
              You did not, and still do not, know what the computer was doing when you chopped the power off. My warning still stands.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post

You did not, and still do not, know what the computer was doing when you chopped the power off. My warning still stands.
                I could NOT "chop the power off", since

1) it evidently was not on, nothing changed when the power button was pushed {and, BTW, a short push is one way of waking up the computer, so again, not "chopping off power"}

2) this is a laptop, it has batteries, so it never is without power until the battery is depleted. MS can have it ignore the power button until completion.

IF Microsoft is so silly as to do some incredibly important work that cannot be interrupted, while the computer is sitting there in a condition to every evidence "shut off", then there will be an outcry across the earth about it. Have not seen that.

I hear your "stern warning", but it "mattereth not a straw", since it was done, and the machine is working as well as before. Yah, Yah... I can't PROVE that, but there are many unknowns in this world. This computer is one of the smaller "first world problems".

Seems odd that it started doing the "brick imitation" right after the update..... I may ask Dell what their issue is with this update.

HOLD THE PHONE.............

There seem to be boot issues with this update, boot loops that do not let it boot, etc.

If you have a choice, don't accept ANY updates for a while.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...client=gws-wiz
                Last edited by J Tiers; 03-10-2021, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Users have been howling about this stuff for years. Places like the Register and Slashdot barely even bother to report it any more. It has become routine and expected "patch tuesday". Its an administrative nightmare for all but the biggest corporate clients.
                  25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I installed 20H2 a couple of weeks ago. I'm running dual monitors and it messed with the backgrounds and power settings, which I fixed. I had it update right in front of me while I watched it go through the process.

I feel SO much safer, knowing my PC is in safe hands with MS. (NOT)

Dan
                    Salem, Oregon

Comment

I did it about a month ago. No changes other than after a day it didn't like my pop3 mail settings. Outlook had a fit and wouldn't play nice with pop3. I had to setup an imap account for mail which syncs what's on your computer email to what's on the server. I liked the pop3 as deleted emails on the machine were saved on the server for a couple weeks. Suppose they got sick of keeping x billion emails on their servers hence the synced imap.

You have to be careful as it will pop up with the typical microsoft BS of wanting you to sync it with everything you own. Then sync it with everything on the cloud and I'm not a fan of that. God I hate win10 bloatware.

Comment

Latest update completed and no issues have shown themselves yet.

Comment

The new update removes the option to have a user autologin without a password
                          There is a registry fix for this issue that brings the option back.

Comment

Just did two computers here. It is a long drawn out affair but they both seemed to have come through it OK. Only time will tell.
                            Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                              The new update removes the option to have a user autologin without a password
                              There is a registry fix for this issue that brings the option back.
                              That annoys me. I don't need someone telling me when I need to use a password.

Comment

Working...
                              X