oil seal suppliers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil seal suppliers

I am in need of some oil seals for my homemade hydraulic dampener on my saw. I used O rings but they will not hold the pressure. I have been looking on the net but really have not found a site that lists what I wanted. I need the seals for a .500 shaft the od really does not matter as I can bore for that. Is there a difference between grease and oil seals? I can double them if necessary to hold the pressure. I am kinda in over my head on this part of the project. any help would be apprecated.

The best seals are double lip. They'll hold a few psi of oil pressure should you need it. One of the best manufacturers is NOK in Japan. Seal dimensions are metric, so a 1/2 shaft would be 12.7mm. Look at seal charts to figure out what you want for a size.
    for example as marked, 12.7 20 8 seal would be 12.7mm bore, 20mm outside diameter, 8mm thick.

Comment

Any hydraulics repair shop should have a good assortment of seals.
      Check Parker.

JL....

Comment

Sounds like you need a U-cup seal for sure.

-D
        DZER

Comment

Look for National Seal, a division of Federal-Mogul
          their Catalog should help you
          Rich
          Green Bay, WI

Comment

On one of my pieces of farm equipment a valve was leaking oil and I replaced the oring only to have that leak shortly. I ordered a bunch of orings from the dealer and the parts man added a backup ring to my order without asking for my approval. It now holds pressure just fine. I didn't complain about the extra cost.

Comment

A properly fitted o-ring on a properly finished surface will easily seal 1500+ psi. You could try automotive brake cylinder cups which are somewhat more tolerant.
              Southwest Utah

Comment

mcmaster carr

Comment

Ordinary o rings are used to seal common rail diesel pumps at over 23000psi, it is the fit of the parts that are sealed which is important.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                    Look for National Seal, a division of Federal-Mogul
                    their Catalog should help you
                    Rich
                    Worst seal company in the history of seal making - they are catching up and finally adding some silicone content to the mix to keep them pliable and from shrinking,

#2 post from "I make chips" --- NOK, also KOYO, SKF and some other honorable mentions... look for seals of "color" and gloss besides non-glossy black, like I said national is playing catch up and is actually starting to produce seals that actually seal,
                    for awhile they made the absolute worst stuff on the planet - I had to eat a few timing belt jobs when i should have just left the OEM japanese seals in for another round I replaced with nationals thinking i was doing a good thing, within sometimes just 10,000 miles they would shrink up not only lose tolerance on the OD but grip the spinning component (cams or crank) and just start rotating along with it while acting like a "lubrication slinger" only to soak the new timing belt...

I still avoid national like the plague.... poor excuse for a seal company to say they least...

Comment

McMaster-Carr probably has one of the best selections of seals in the us. The Parker store is another option and they do have branches in a number of areas. unfortunately they tend to treat every customer like a retail customer they don't want until you spend a ****load of money. maybe worth it if you just need one or two pieces and they have a local store.

That being said pressure holding shouldn't be an issue with o-rings. Plain old ordinary Buna-N o-rings will hold 3000 PSI or more in an air rifle. There are two likely culprits however. Your o-rings are wearing against the inside of the tube or you don't have quite the right fit. I would suggest just start by measuring the OD of your o-ring groove and make a new piston with an o-ring groove a few thousands larger than the old one. To reduce wear put some lube on the o-ring when you reassemble.
                      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Working...
                      X