stainless sheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stainless sheet

I have the option to bring home a 4x8 sheet of stainless, 1/4 in thick. I'm calling it stainless because it's not aluminum, but it's also not magnetic. It's not all shiny looking, but it's been out in the weather for about two years, and it's not tarnished or rusted. It's heavy like steel. Basically it's too heavy for me to handle in one piece. There's no power where it is, or I might consider jigsawing it in half, then loading it into the van as two pieces. That might take a couple hours of the jig saw running, so I'm not looking forward to that approach anyway. It's not very accessible for a lift of any kind, short of a crane.
    Anyway, I don't even know if I'd have a use for it if I did manage to scoop it.
    Any ideas?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Well not being one to turn down metal at a deal I can offer some advice.

First thing I would do is check it with a file and see just how hard it is.If you can't cut it all it would be good for is garden mulch

If you can file it okay,then I should be useful for something.S far as moving it something similar to a plywood tote with wheels should let you move it standing on edge.4x8' 1/4" thick would wiegh 325lbs if it were steel,a little more for stainless.Heck a good appliance handtruck would carry that no problem.

You could always get really desperate and drill holes for a few casters
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

SS Sheet

Weird
      The steel plate would make a mighty fine workbench top. Enlist a few good friends and use some large C Clamps for handles

JRW

Comment

Grab it and don't look back! I could kick myself for not getting a piece a while back. It was 24x48 x 2" thick steel plate. At the time, I had no way of moving the nearly 700lbs. of steel. I went back a week later with an engine lift and it was gone.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen
          Grab it and don't look back! I could kick myself for not getting a piece a while back. It was 24x48 x 2" thick steel plate.
          Eh.... woulda been a mighty fine lathe stand top, could be a bit longer, but.......

If the thing chattered when mounted on that, well, it ain't no good!

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

I cant imagine trying to cut 4 feet of 1/4" stainless with a jig saw- I mean, it would WORK- but it would take a while.
            A 4x8 of 1/4" should weigh 320lbs, so be careful lifting it.
            If it is aluminum, it will be obvious when you pick it up.

New stainless sheet is running over 2 bucks a pound- thats over 600 bucks for a sheet of 1/4".
            Scrap, which would be a shame for a full sheet, is still 30 to 50 cents a pound- so if you dont want it, you should be able to sell it for a hundred to up to 300 bucks or so.

Comment

If nothing else I would throw it in the driveway in front of my garage so I didn't have to worry about lying in the dirt/mud when changing oil. Bench top sounds good to me.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Definitely, part of it for a benchtop.

Comment

I'm gonna have to look at this again. The c-clamps for handles, good idea. Even drilling it to mount temporary wheels, good idea. I suppose getting it for the taking would allow me to use it for whatever- I wouldn't pay 600 bucks for the top of a workbench, but as a freebie-
                  Yeah, I'm not to keen on the idea of jigsawing it in half just to handle it. Then to use it in smaller pieces I'd still have to jigsaw it.
                  Maybe I should go with Evan's idea- I could put about a dozen or so casters under it, and use it as a - low bed bed for working under a vehicle.
                  Seems a shame not to try to bring it home somehow.
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I would get a pick up truck and 2 mexicans to load and unload it. dont hurt yourself.

Comment

If it's a weldable alloy you could make yourself a mighty nice outdoor grill or fireplace. Or the world's toughest chip pan.

If you buffed it up nice it would make a really cool tabletop. Or many other bits of modernistic furniture.

Take a few scraps and machine them to look like Indian arrowheads. Dig a deep hole and bury them. Confuse the hell out of an archeologist in about 1000 years.

Walt

Comment

Walt, LOL. Who's to say some ancients didn't think the same thing- "let's leave this (pottery student project) crucible in the dirt for future generations to find. These crazy markings will have them wondering! Ha ha."
                        Yeah, a nice shiny tabletop! That would look cool, and I know just the person to shine it up!

Comment

Working...
                        X