Advice on New Lathe Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OaklandGB View Post
    No lectures, no judgments. Just my 2 cents. I had nothing to upgrade from, except a memory of my dad's Sheldon where I learned only the basics.

I went with a PM 1022 and found these items to be the deciding factors for me. The 1" bore was enough for my hobby needs.
    • Variable speed motor
    • Included wedge type QCTP
    • Extra 4 jaw chuck
    • Extra face plate
    • Steady rest
    • Power cross feed
    • 360 Lbs weight.
    (But the biggest factor of all was the surprise, little included oil can that fell apart on first squeeze. It lubricated most of the bench.)

Good luck on your search and hope you find just the right machine. When you get it, be sure to enjoy it!!
    Wow its not a elCheapo but quality and the QC is included along with everything you would need. Thanks for the tip!!

Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
      Thanks Sparky I looked at Busy Bee a Canadian website and did not see it listed now. How is your solar project going?
      Solar is going but slow. With the help of a friend been cutting up and removing two huge oak trees that I had cut down. Three equipment trailer loads so far for one tree, the trunk tomorrow as a separate load. Brought home all the steel for my ground mount yesterday (free), probably start welding that all up next week. Slowly crawling forward, those two trees are very time consuming.

Maybe shoot Brian a PM with that ebay link and see if he thinks its similar/same as his lathe. I know he has been quite pleased with his.

Comment

This is a short youtube video that discusses Asian lathes - there is some interesting comments concerning AC vs DC motors, etc. You may find it to be of interest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znZgT3Zmf5Y.

Comment

Actually a decent run-through. I don't agree with everything, but I never expected to. The important things are covered, maybe not always with the "here's what that really means to you", but it's there.

The AC vs DC motor thing is almost covered completely. The big disadvantage of the typical BLDC motors is covered, but not quite with the "what it means" part.

Still good.
          CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Thanks Jerry and others.

Now I find a old Jet 1024 1980's on Facebook a 4 hour drive for me just to look at for $1800, and same thing in the other direction listed for $2500 which looks nicer. I am thinking those are way over priced? I found a Link to someone on here and I am reading about his adventures with one that he only paid $600 for years ago.
            Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
              Thanks Jerry and others.

Now I find a old Jet 1024 1980's on Facebook a 4 hour drive for me just to look at for $1800, and same thing in the other direction listed for $2500 which looks nicer. I am thinking those are way over priced? I found a Link to someone on here and I am reading about his adventures with one that he only paid $600 for years ago.
              Yes, overpriced and also over rated. I had a jet 10x24 years ago, it was no better than the other imports but priced much higher. I was quite surprised when I found out the less than 3 yr old lathe was obsolete and no parts available from Jet. That said, I have a jet 13x40 gear head lathe now that I bought for $1000, it was from a school and I have been pleased with it overall.

Comment

Working...
              X