Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSA chuck?

In my recent Acquisition of some tools, there was a 6”
    three jaw BSA chuck, complete with the external extra jaws.
    lt appears to be made in England.
    Can anyone of my brothers from across the pond (or anyone else for that matter) comment on it’s quality?
    it looks to be well made.
    Just wondering, as I’m not familiar with that brand.

Thanks, Sid

https://schunk.com/dk_en/clamping-te...gy/series/bsa/
    BSA is mentioned, dont know if its the same.

I know BSA made Lathes.
    Beaver County Alberta Canada

Comment

You don't hear much about BSA in the US, but my impression has always been decent quality. They made all kinds of things over the years, from rifles to motorcycles. Much like the dealings between Pratt & Whitney, and Colt on this side of the pond.
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Rifles first, though. BSA stands for Birmingham Small Arms. The BSA logo is stacked rifles.

-js
        There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

My Weiler Matador lathe came to me with a BSA chuck. Seems to be of good quality and has served me well. I was surprised as I have owned a 1966 BSA 650 Spitfire Mkll motorcycle for almost 50 years, didn't know that they made machine tools. Rifles I did know about.

Comment

BSA made everything from sewing needles to aircraft. Their heavy machine tools operation really got going about 1928.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
              BSA made everything from sewing needles to aircraft. Their heavy machine tools operation really got going about 1928.
              Yes, I had that impression, and they seemed to be nicely made. The nearest Yankee equivalent would be United technologies which now owns Pratt & Whitney, alongside a zillion other companies.
              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I have a B.S.A on my Monarch 10EE. Reason why I spent that much for a 6 inch three jaw?? Best scroll 3 jaw for the lathe.

Its one of the only steel chucks that I could find that were "rated" to 4000rpm+. JR

Comment

I knew they started as a rifle company and were most famous in the UK for their motorbikes. The acronym was also said to mean "Bits Stuck Anywhere"...

They were as good as any other UK bike from that period, but opinions will vary on this.

Ian
                  All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Still going, that surprised me, seem to be shifting a lot of Japanese and Taiwan lathes, the don’t look bad to be honest
                    resonably good stuff usually
                    mark

Comment

The BSA chuck appears to be well made because it is well made. Never had any problems with the ones I've used over the years.

Comment

Working...
                      X