No announcement yet.

Eastern Bloc Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The old Stanko I worked appeared to have selection switches that looked home made or turn of the 20th century manufacture, the body casting had cavities that were filled with what looked like auto-body filler and then sprayed over!
    Max.

Comment

We had a stanko export lathe in work, it was a tank, casting was heavy wall, it had the rather odd ability to power feed the carriage while the spindle was stationary which found itself used quite a bit with key ways and splines, very novel I kind of liked it,
      mark

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
        Polish Lathe Chucks (Bison et al) are very well made. I don't like the jaw pattern as well as a toothed American pattern like a Cushman, but they are my second fav.
        Do you mean the serrated jaw mounting?

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post

Do you mean the serrated jaw mounting?
          No, the 4 rows of serrated teeth for gripping raw stock.
          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Ive run Poreba - Polish , TOS - Czech, Stanko - Russian.
            All good machines and Bison products are very good also.
            Beaver County Alberta Canada

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

No, the 4 rows of serrated teeth for gripping raw stock.
              These have a purpose, in many instances smooth jaws will not hold the stock when roughing, drilling will often push the stock through the chuck unless backed up.
              Rough with serrated jaws then finish with smooth or soft jaws.
              This W&S chuck has such sharp serrations that will make the part look like it was knurled, it will however hold the stock when drilling 2 1/2" holes straight through without a pilot hole. Any jaw marks are machined away when finishing.

If indeed you mostly finish parts from pre-ground stock then soft jaws or collet pads are your friends.
              Collet pads

Comment

A few years ago I got a set of .6m and .8m involute gear cutters - a $100 bucks Cdn. each from the Ukraine on EBay. They were made in the USSR and have been perfect for my needs. Listed as "used" but I couldn't see any used marks on them. I was a bit concerned about quality, delivery etc. but my fears were not justified.

I got them as they closely match 40DP and 32DP at a vastly lower price and take only a bit of fiddling to get them to work as a replacement for Imperial cutters. I found that a 20/40 combo for the former requires a 21/42 for the .6m to get the PCD very close. The .6m is 31.75 DP so a minimal amount of adjustment to the depth of cut makes them work.

These are for my model engine builds so I can fiddle a bit.🙂

Geoff
                Last edited by ammcoman2; 03-12-2021, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post
                  I have a Russian lathe. A Stanko. It is built very well and very accurate. Sir John said most soviet era machine tools were capable of being dropped from a plane and still hold 2 tenths. And he said the tools are like Russian women. Ugly as hell but hard workers! Really he said that!
                  i wonder where you have to go to meet ugly russian women. i wouldnt know.

Comment

Thanks folks. Sounds like decent tooling, as long as you take a good look at the condition and where it was actually manufactured.

I was thinking about the USSR and their production, and I wondered - how does one determine how many lathe chucks to produce in a year? Or grinding wheels? Or even lathes for that matter. You'd need some detailed historical information on the economy to even take a stab in the dark as to quantities to produce, and that doesn't even account for things like ramping up production in certain areas or new technical programs or such. Crazy to think they ever thought it would work.

As far as Eastern Bloc equipment, I believe the first lathe I ran at college was a TOS (can anyone confirm? Big green lathes at Mohawk College before they sadly looked to have ripped all that equipment out). Solid machine, even after years of abuse from students it was running stronger than the newer imports they had on the other side of the machine bay.

Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post

i wonder where you have to go to meet ugly Russian women. i wouldn't know.
                      You either spend all your free time in your town's Red Light District or must need glasses or a seeing eye guide dog.

I see the pug ugly ones, daily in NYC. Maybe all the ones that emigrated worked in tractor factors and are "strong like bull". They sure have the beefy legs for it.
                      Last edited by reggie_obe; 03-13-2021, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X