Stub Arbor / Roller Clutch Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stub Arbor / Roller Clutch Revisited

Nothing precision about this, but it worked out nicely so I’ll pass it on.

I had to move this Breaker Panel, and in the process remove the old rigid conduit (2â€‌ pipe) nipple and install a shorter one. No room for a Stillson, so I had to have something that would grip from the inside. Remembering the pix I saw here of a stub arbor, and also the roller clutches of those great old Perry coaster brake hubs from my bike shop days, I came up with this:

A 1-1/4 inch bolt has a head that is just over 2â€‌ point to point. I filed the points enough for the head to fit into the pipe nipple, then used a 7/64â€‌ drill for the pin.

Photo “Aâ€‌ shows the old conduit coming through the outside wall, after I cut off the elbow. “Bâ€‌ shows the â€?wrench’ in place. “Câ€‌ shows the whole thing, with a pipe wrench ready to apply some torque. And “Dâ€‌ shows the nipple after removal. The pin can be seen inside the red outline. It worked perfectly.

Installing the new, shorter nipple was done the same way. Everything worked as planned, and a job I was dreading was finished up rather easily.

Clever! Thanks for sharing ... a trick worth remembering.

Now see there, it's not always laziness that spawns inventiveness.
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Thank you John. That method is in my file already . There are so many good ideas that are presented on this forum and it is impossible to recall them all.

ken
      Ken.

Comment

John,
        Thank you. I'm amazed at how something so obvious escapes you until shown.
        Goes to show you never stop learning.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Yes John that is a great idea. I have used that principal any number of time machining on the lathe. That idea never would have occured to me.
          Yes this is a great bb.
          Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
          http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

Working...
          X