Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antikythera mechanism, 2000 year old machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When they threw that thing overboard, the maker probably got thrown off with it. After realizing that it was flawed, I'm sure somebody was pissed- but I don't suppose we'll ever know the whole story. I'm in awe of the skill that went into designing and making it- but I'm not overly awed by the idea that the intelligence wasn't around then. All that's changed from then til now is the materials and machinery we have- the cleverness is something that I believe has always been a part of mankind. You kind of pull it in from the ether- it doesn't have to be part of the human makeup with the brain and all, so a simple brain could have had the same ability to be inspired to make such a thing. Not everybody would take their thinking in that direction- some people are amazing artists, which I can't explain in any physical way either. People don't paint any better now than they did way back then-
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
      If someone in 0020 found a smartphone manufactured in 2020 how would they describe it?
      As a funny looking mirror.

It would not do anything, since as usual, the battery would have run out, and in 0020 no charger!
      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Heck in 0020 it would not have taken a smart phone,,, I have a plastic bottle that contained 8oz of orange juice im saving to recycle,,, it's got a massive stylish green cap and the bottle is also very stout, it's got that triple thread design goes on with a twist in almost any starting position, the thing is a marvel and if taken care of would probably last 50 years yet we use it for about 5 minutes then toss it in the landfill,

I guarantee you if you owned this bottle back then you would reach god like status....

Comment

Maybe the original, if it is the original and not the second, third, etc. iteration, was made prior to the earth's last ice-age, asteroid strike, shifting of the magnetic poles, some cataclysmic event that reset the evolutionary clock to zero.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
            I guarantee you if you owned this bottle back then you would reach god like status....
            sounds like the premise for an '80's Steve Martin movie
            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

Good memory lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

Or this movie: https://moviesanywhere.com/movie/the-gods-must-be-crazy

Comment

Just when a guy thinks he had an original thought

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                    too funny, forgot about that one. I'd say that makes 1984 about when Hollywood completely ran out new ideas
                    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                    X