Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Antikythera mechanism, 2000 year old machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
    too funny, forgot about that one. I'd say that makes 1984 about when Hollywood completely ran out new ideas

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Just when a guy thinks he had an original thought

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

sounds like the premise for an '80's Steve Martin movie
    Or this movie: https://moviesanywhere.com/movie/the-gods-must-be-crazy

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

Good memory lol

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    I guarantee you if you owned this bottle back then you would reach god like status....

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Maybe the original, if it is the original and not the second, third, etc. iteration, was made prior to the earth's last ice-age, asteroid strike, shifting of the magnetic poles, some cataclysmic event that reset the evolutionary clock to zero.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Heck in 0020 it would not have taken a smart phone,,, I have a plastic bottle that contained 8oz of orange juice im saving to recycle,,, it's got a massive stylish green cap and the bottle is also very stout, it's got that triple thread design goes on with a twist in almost any starting position, the thing is a marvel and if taken care of would probably last 50 years yet we use it for about 5 minutes then toss it in the landfill,

I guarantee you if you owned this bottle back then you would reach god like status....

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Originally posted by Bented View Post
    If someone in 0020 found a smartphone manufactured in 2020 how would they describe it?
    As a funny looking mirror.

It would not do anything, since as usual, the battery would have run out, and in 0020 no charger!

Leave a comment:

• darryl
    replied
    When they threw that thing overboard, the maker probably got thrown off with it. After realizing that it was flawed, I'm sure somebody was pissed- but I don't suppose we'll ever know the whole story. I'm in awe of the skill that went into designing and making it- but I'm not overly awed by the idea that the intelligence wasn't around then. All that's changed from then til now is the materials and machinery we have- the cleverness is something that I believe has always been a part of mankind. You kind of pull it in from the ether- it doesn't have to be part of the human makeup with the brain and all, so a simple brain could have had the same ability to be inspired to make such a thing. Not everybody would take their thinking in that direction- some people are amazing artists, which I can't explain in any physical way either. People don't paint any better now than they did way back then-

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by Commander_Chaos View Post

He's almost as smart as the guy who made the original.
    Probably smarter, if he can find a good hiding place for it in case the Romans sack Australia

Leave a comment:

• Doc Nickel
    replied
    Well, arguably Clickspring is having to reverse-engineer a mechanism that's been badly damaged and corroded by being in salt water for literally over a millennia, and of which they only have about 70 percent of.

I'd say both were brilliant.

Doc.

Leave a comment:

• Noitoen
    replied
    Originally posted by Commander_Chaos View Post

Copy vs. designing

Leave a comment:

• Commander_Chaos
    replied
    Originally posted by Galaxie View Post
    What amazes me about Clickspring (besides the extensive research and skills) is that he even went so far as to make his own files, and took the time to investigate ancient means of "marking out" with various liquid solutions, waxes, plant resins, and smokes/soot.

Leave a comment:

• Galaxie
    replied
    What amazes me about Clickspring (besides the extensive research and skills) is that he even went so far as to make his own files, and took the time to investigate ancient means of "marking out" with various liquid solutions, waxes, plant resins, and smokes/soot.

Leave a comment:

• OaklandGB
    replied
    "If someone in 0020 found a smartphone manufactured in 2020 how would they describe it?"
    A1: " Hey, I bet you 1000 grains of salt that I can skip this thing better than you can skip that flat stone"...

A2: " This is clearly evil....pure evil....burn it"

Leave a comment:

Working...
X