Brass finishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brass finishing

Anybody know how/what the finish is on brass door knobs? It would be nice to be able to have that sort of finish/protection on some brass projects of mine.....?
    Don Haworth in Nashville

These days they use clear powder coat.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Brass protective finish

Originally posted by Don Haworth
      Anybody know how/what the finish is on brass door knobs? It would be nice to be able to have that sort of finish/protection on some brass projects of mine.....?
      Don Haworth in Nashville
      I don't know that they might have used way back but I believe clear laquer is common. That is what I have used on old light fixtures and hardware in my old money pit, er, I mean house... you can buy it in a spray can.

The interesting thing is that some of the stuff I've polished up then laquered is still pretty shiny but some has since darkened as if tarnished, even though it has the laquer on it. Don't know if maybe it was the amount of time between polishing and laquering or not a heavy enough coat or what.

Comment

The classic treatment is a lacquer coating. Clock people could tell you the right way to do it; here's my probably garbled understanding:

Thin some lacquer about 50% with solvent. Pour into a container big enough to submerge the part in. Clean the brass part thoroughly, KEEP YER FINGERS OFFA IT!, and dip into the thinned lacquer. Hang up to dry, hopefully in a dust-free area.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Hi guys. I normally just read (lurk in the backround ) but I can actually answer this question. Traditionally brass was and often still is coated to prevent oxidation.
          Most knobs and handles are done now using PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition). It is a plating process that produces a hard coating that can look like brass (or other metals) but is much harder and wear resistant.
          For the home shop, clear coating is the way to go.

HTH

Carlos

Comment

Working...
          X