Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    You guys are the best bunch iv ever met, and there's some of us on the fringe that have to use each other to round off some rough edges, while most everybody else has the common sense to just stand back and watch --- maybe even add a caution of "put some goggles on cuz this ones gonna create some sparks"

Im most grateful to those that i got to help de-burr and de-burr myself with,,, and also guys like GB who have not booted my arss out a long time ago...

im way more in tune with behaving myself because of his example of both warnings and tolerance, mostly the latter cuz only a fool would want to upset a guy like that....

Here's to GB and all great moderators who have one hell of a juggling act to perform and impossible to get it all right all the time but id like to think he's come pretty damn close....

Leave a comment:

• alanganes
    replied
    Originally posted by mklotz View Post
    I remember T-nut well from RCM, also Harold Vardos who is now a moderator on Chaski.

And then there's the RCM member who I'd most like to forget... Do you remember "Gunner" ?
    Try as you might, it's pretty difficult to forget Gunner. Interesting thing about him was that on a few occasions I had the chance to correspond with him off the list. He came across as an entirely different person. He helped me with a few things and was quite generous in some stuff he sent to me. The internet brings stuff out in people, I guess.

T-nut was a fascinating character, and he was very good at expressing himself clearly in writing. I still refer back to some of the stuff he posted on occasion.

RCM was an interesting place before it got stupid, as most of usenet seemed to get. I spent a lot of time and learned a great deal from the people there as I knew very little about machining when I stumbled on that group. Largely a great bunch of guys.
    Last edited by alanganes; 03-15-2021, 04:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mklotz
    replied
    I remember T-nut well from RCM, also Harold Vardos who is now a moderator on Chaski.

And then there's the RCM member who I'd most like to forget... Do you remember "Gunner" ?

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    Sorry I missed that guy --- I do not recall seeing the handle "T-nut" on here so he goes way back im sure...
    Robert Bastow. don't know if he was ever here, but he was a big participant on the major domo mailing list in '90's and later rec.craft.metalworking before it went to ratshlt. He was an entertaining writer

If you have lots of time......http://loganact.com/teenut/teenut.txt
    a small dose, a classic on machine feeds quote in post 8 here https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...313#post633313

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Sorry I missed that guy --- I do not recall seeing the handle "T-nut" on here so he goes way back im sure...

Leave a comment:

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
    His work on proving the BS of having to have a certain diameter for knurling was a classic. I find my self quoting it often to the beginners . Another like person was
    Robert Bastow "T nut" .
    ...lew...
    they were both awesome, so steeped in experience and knowledge and with good personalities to boot. For the newer guys, several years ago John's wife Gert passed away. Sad. Next thing we know he'd remarried....and affectionately referred to the new bride as Gert II. At the pinnacle of the pyramid of characters, in the upper rarified atmosphere, are those who can get away that!

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    SJ owns the patent on the single best one liner of the board,,, "Clumsy Bastard" will never be out-done, nothing will ever come close,,,

I also remember another one of his classics and in fact one time was the recipient of it, if you can imagine I was being kinda an instigator at the time ( I know how out of character that sounds for me but it's the truth)
    was kinda needling the old boy to see what he was made of when all the sudden he sent me scampering with a very direct and capitalized "BUGGER OFF!!!"
    Took me weeks to recover from that one... lol

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    What about Old Tiffie, where is he? John is not complete without him....

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    There is a thread still running which was started by him in the UK Model engineer forum.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/for....asp?t=162&p=1

Leave a comment:

• Lew Hartswick
    replied
    His work on proving the BS of having to have a certain diameter for knurling was a classic. I find my self quoting it often to the beginners . Another like person was
    Robert Bastow "T nut" .
    ...lew...

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
    I've been digging back into the archives - backwards - and am now in early 2008.

Thanks to the suggestion of Jerry Tiers, I've been "liking" Sir John's posts - never mind that "liking" didn't exist in the earlier versions of Vbulletin.

Anyway, I've just pushed Sir John's rating into full red and, apparently, anointed him as "a glorious beacon of light".

Yay, me! And goodnight, Sir John, wherever you are.

-js
    Nice --- yeah I too suggested that in a recent past post that got brought back up, he did not have one increment and just in that post I brought him up to about four so was hoping someone would push him over the edge and mentioned it, glad it finally happened...

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    Sir John preceeds my time here. But I've seen enough to appreciate the character he was.

Knowing more than a few Brits in my time I can smile at the idea that even when he was lambasting someone that he was smiling and hoping for a suitable rejoinder to his "abuse". The deeper the piss taking digs into the firmament the more the classic Brit smiles and appreciates the friendship...

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by JRouche View Post
    John Stevenson

Love the Man. For years We have been around for 19 years. JR

Kinda odd. I have been hear from 1999 and it shows some other number. LOl
    I have been here from the start. When HSM was a web site.

John was here bck then. Him and I used the same software system. JR

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    Jimmy Durante said that. Mrs. Kalabash was his nickname for his wife.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    John Stevenson

Love the Man. For years We have been around for 19 years. JR

Leave a comment:

Working...
X