Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waterjet with a freaking Laser on it's head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
    Here's an how-it-works:
    {quote}
    The Laser MicroJet (LMJ) is a hybrid method of machining, which combines a laser with a "hair-thin" water jet that precisely guides the laser beam by means of total internal reflection in a manner similar to conventional optical fibers. The water jet continually cools the cutting zone and efficiently removes debris.
    {\quote}

https://www.synova.ch/technology/laser-microjet.html

$550k - $1.4M
    Interesting, total internal reflection is a neat effect to study. 20 years ago or better I used to machine nozzle bodies for a fountain company that used a laminar flow nozzle combined with an LED light source fed to the stream through a fiber optic poly rope. Similar to what's in this video, but much larger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK3XQpSRez4

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

How thick do you think the cut was ?? a few thou ? That was pretty thick material. I'm surprised the water doesn't diffuse the beam.

If you were to put that laser in a hand held gun would you be able to poke a hole through something across the room??

Have to ask.......... is this a water jet with a laser on it's head or vise versa??

JL..............
      Last edited by JoeLee; 03-16-2021, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
        How thick do you think the cut was ?? a few thou ? That was pretty thick material. I'm surprised the water doesn't diffuse the beam.

If you were to put that laser in a hand held gun would you be able to poke a hole through something across the room??

Have to ask.......... is this a water jet with a laser on it's head or vise versa??

JL..............
        .02 millimeters, according to the manufacturers website

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post

.02 millimeters, according to the manufacturers website
          About .0008 ? Correct?

JL....

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
            About .0008 ? Correct?

JL....
            Thats what my calculator says. That said, i need to apologize, i fat-fingered a digit; its not a minimum of .02mm, its .03mm, they advertise a tool diameter of .03mm to .08mm, so 1 to 3 thou

Comment

Basically the water acts like a fiber optics delivering the light to the bottom of the cut. Its very similar to what happens when you cut acrylic with a co2 lasers, the walls of the freshly cut acrylic have the same effect acting as a waveguide which allows you to cut way thicker than the depth of focus of the lens.

Comment

Working...
              X