Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waterjet with a freaking Laser on it's head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• macona
    replied
    Basically the water acts like a fiber optics delivering the light to the bottom of the cut. Its very similar to what happens when you cut acrylic with a co2 lasers, the walls of the freshly cut acrylic have the same effect acting as a waveguide which allows you to cut way thicker than the depth of focus of the lens.

Leave a comment:

• epicfail48
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    About .0008 ? Correct?

JL....
    Thats what my calculator says. That said, i need to apologize, i fat-fingered a digit; its not a minimum of .02mm, its .03mm, they advertise a tool diameter of .03mm to .08mm, so 1 to 3 thou

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post

.02 millimeters, according to the manufacturers website
    About .0008 ? Correct?

JL....

Leave a comment:

• epicfail48
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    How thick do you think the cut was ?? a few thou ? That was pretty thick material. I'm surprised the water doesn't diffuse the beam.

If you were to put that laser in a hand held gun would you be able to poke a hole through something across the room??

Have to ask.......... is this a water jet with a laser on it's head or vise versa??

JL..............
    .02 millimeters, according to the manufacturers website

Leave a comment:

• JoeLee
    replied
    How thick do you think the cut was ?? a few thou ? That was pretty thick material. I'm surprised the water doesn't diffuse the beam.

If you were to put that laser in a hand held gun would you be able to poke a hole through something across the room??

Have to ask.......... is this a water jet with a laser on it's head or vise versa??

JL..............
    Last edited by JoeLee; 03-16-2021, 11:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
    Here's an how-it-works:
    {quote}
    The Laser MicroJet (LMJ) is a hybrid method of machining, which combines a laser with a "hair-thin" water jet that precisely guides the laser beam by means of total internal reflection in a manner similar to conventional optical fibers. The water jet continually cools the cutting zone and efficiently removes debris.
    {\quote}

https://www.synova.ch/technology/laser-microjet.html

$550k - $1.4M
    Interesting, total internal reflection is a neat effect to study. 20 years ago or better I used to machine nozzle bodies for a fountain company that used a laminar flow nozzle combined with an LED light source fed to the stream through a fiber optic poly rope. Similar to what's in this video, but much larger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK3XQpSRez4

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    Lol. If I only had a NIR Q-switched laser.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Originally posted by macona View Post

is that a challenge???
    do it! :d

Leave a comment:

• alanganes
    replied
    Originally posted by macona View Post

is that a challenge???
    Clearly it is.

Leave a comment:

• mattthemuppet
    replied
    I'd be much more impressed if you mounted it on a shark

Leave a comment:

• macona
    replied
    Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    I can't wait until Macona finds one of these surplus and mounts it on his mill .
    is that a challenge???

Leave a comment:

• jcfx
    replied
    Here's some more reading if anyone is interested -
    https://www.avonisys.com/pushing-the...er-lasers.html

Leave a comment:

• Bob Engelhardt
    replied
    Here's an how-it-works:
    {quote}
    The Laser MicroJet (LMJ) is a hybrid method of machining, which combines a laser with a "hair-thin" water jet that precisely guides the laser beam by means of total internal reflection in a manner similar to conventional optical fibers. The water jet continually cools the cutting zone and efficiently removes debris.
    {\quote}

https://www.synova.ch/technology/laser-microjet.html

$550k - $1.4M
    Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 03-15-2021, 03:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    I can't wait until Macona finds one of these surplus and mounts it on his mill .

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by Willy View Post

Time for me to cash in all of that pre-pandemic Amazon stock I bought last year so that I can set one of those puppies up out in the back shed.
    I too have an extensive shopping list, now if I could just guess the PowerBall numbers

Leave a comment:

Working...
X