No announcement yet.

Watchmakers lathe garage find

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have the "B" on your lathe which means the bearings are bronze according to the NAWCC thread. I imagine it would be easy and cheap to clean up the machine overall. Piece of plate glass and some 800-grit for the bed, etc.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
      Piece of plate glass and some 800-grit for the bed, etc.

😱😱😱
      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

The hand wheel looks off an edwards oxygen valve, not original so a red herring, looks very boley to me
        mark

Comment

Brought the headstock with me to work today. I'm going to sandblast all the paint and rust off it, then try and dissasemble the spindle with some monkey wrenches on the lock ring, of maybe a few ugga duggas from the impact gun should loosen it up. With any luck by the end of the day I should be able to polish down the running surfaces with sandpaper starting at 80g and working my way up. Then I'll probably toss some clover paste on the bearing surfaces and give the spindle a good run in for a few hours up to about 5000rpm to get it nice and warm and seat the bearings.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Only one part of that is true.

I'll do my best to update this thread on the progress. And promise not to do anything stupid .

Comment

Originally posted by Tom S View Post
            A $2 Levin. That’s got to be some sort of record.
            Melt it down and send it to China. No use for a lathe that small.

_Doozer
            DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
              Brought the headstock with me to work today. I'm going to sandblast all the paint and rust off it, then try and dissasemble the spindle with some monkey wrenches on the lock ring, of maybe a few ugga duggas from the impact gun should loosen it up. With any luck by the end of the day I should be able to polish down the running surfaces with sandpaper starting at 80g and working my way up. Then I'll probably toss some clover paste on the bearing surfaces and give the spindle a good run in for a few hours up to about 5000rpm to get it nice and warm and seat the bearings.
              don't forget to mask off the beautiful paint job

Comment

Thought about it, but I've got lots of tremclad to redo the paint. Might even have enough to make it all the same colour.

Comment

It hurts. It hurts so much.

If you start buying accessories for it that lathe could become the most expensive piece of equipment in your shop....
                  Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

It hurts. It hurts so much.

If you start buying accessories for it that lathe could become the most expensive piece of equipment in your shop....
                    No kidding. I was scrolling through ebay last night crying myself to sleep about how much this is going to cost me lol

TBH I'll probably just pick up some collets, make some gravers, and have some fun with it. I'm NOT going to fall down the rabbit hole.....

Comment

Thought about it, but I've got lots of tremclad to redo the paint. Might even have enough to make it all the same colour.
                      yeah, don't forget to paint the pulley and bed, last guy missed it

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

yeah, don't forget to paint the pulley and bed, last guy missed it
                        What a dummy. If he'd painted the bed it wouldn't have rusted. I won't make that mistake this time.

Comment

No kidding. I was scrolling through ebay last night crying myself to sleep about how much this is going to cost me lol

TBH I'll probably just pick up some collets, make some gravers, and have some fun with it. I'm NOT going to fall down the rabbit hole.....
                          Sure sure. If you sell your new Tormach you might be able to afford a collet set and a cross slide.
                          Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

😱😱😱
                            Remember, the watchmakers lathe bed is not a slideway like on a regular lathe. It isn't a surface to measure off of. It's just a place to clamp down the T-rest and tailstock, nothing more.
                            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Sure sure. If you sell your new Tormach you might be able to afford a collet set and a cross slide.
                              I'd prefer to keep the Tormach, and try and get it generate some income to pay for all my other money sucking hobbies I did get to make some chips on it last night, and am sorting a post processor out for edgecam today. Should be cutting by the weekend. Can't get the coolant pump to go though, so I'm hoping it didn't freeze on me. I left a heater on in the garage next to the tank the past few cold nights and don't think it got down below freezing in there, but never know. Didn't feel like digging into it last night, maybe I just have it plugged in wrong? It worked when I bought it. I might go with a fog buster anyway, but would still like flood for some stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Remember, the watchmakers lathe bed is not a slideway like on a regular lathe. It isn't a surface to measure off of. It's just a place to clamp down the T-rest and tailstock, nothing more.
                                It's a 3 surface contact that i'll try and maintain. If it comes down to it I can always regrind the bed back to restore the surface and proper geometry. Would prefer to not go that far down the road though, but will if I have to.

The mating surfaces on the headstock are just milled though, so I don't think it's all that fussy....

Comment

Working...
                                X