No announcement yet.

Enough to make a gunnut cry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that that feeling about guns comes from people who enjoy firearms, and to whom each one seems to have a story to tell. I own some heirlooms, several from the late 1800's. Some other family heirloom rifles were handed down to my brother and were lost when his home was burgled. To people like me these can become special items, and to other people rifles and pistols are just a piece of metal or a tool like a hammer or a pair of boots to be used and then thrown away. To even others they only evoke fear, like it was an evil thing, even when burned and rusty.

Take yourself back a few decades. Take yourself back to before warfare required fast and cheap disposable weapons. They used to represent prized possessions and even works of art. It's sad to see them like those in the picture. I'd probably melt them down rather than use them as lawn stakes. If it were a flint lock or something as rare or as handmade as those, I'd probably use it as a decoration or in a piece of art in some manner. They don't appear to be very old but it is hard to tell by the picture.

My Grandfather taught sniper-school and intelligence for the U.S. in WWI. He also commanded a train after that war, that traveled across the entire Trans-Siberian Railway prior to the Bolshevik Revolution. I would love to have the rifles and side-arms that he took with him on that journey even if they were burned and rusty.

Nostalgia taken a bit too far? Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

Comment

Working...
    X