Enough to make a gunnut cry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enough to make a gunnut cry

A friend gave these to me, they were on an old wagon on a farm he bought.

Other than dandy predrilled washer stock what could one use them for...a boring bar with a predrilled coolant hole?

Depends on the level of rusting. I would put them through the derusting process and then check them for metal loss. You might be surprised. The double gun doesn't look that bad.
    Jim, By the river enjoying life...

Comment

PC tomato stakes.

That Enfield sure was butchered before it was left to rust.

Comment

Ouch! That's just a crime. Makes you wonder how it happened.

Hopefully the actions can at least be opened to determine whether they were loaded.

If you ever wanted to experiment with bluing techniques, there's your test pieces! Or maybe you can find one of those 'turn in guns for cash' deals, though I've heard those are getting less common.

Walt

Comment

Looks like cleanup after a fire,once helped a nieghbor clean up his barn.Tractors,guns,engines,planting equipment,they all looked like that in just a few days,amazing what heat and wet wood ash will do to steel.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

That should buff right out....

Comment

Looking at that picture just makes me .....sad
              Alex

Comment

I agree with Wierd, looks like fire damage. If they WERE in a fire, I would want to make sure they would be safe to fire even if they clean up nice.

Comment

I'd put'em in my guy cabinet anyway. If a intruder enters the home they'd be as good as any baseball bat and harder to see in the dark.
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

de-rust

Get a gallon of Evaporust and a long plastic flower planter. Or do the elctrolytic thing is you don't mind the extra hassle. Might be interesting to see what's under all that.

Comment

Cry? No, not really.

While it's a shame to see what were undoubtedly servicible rifles ruined in this way- I agree, it liiks like the result of a fire- really, unless the double is (was?) something fancy, the only thing worth a crap was the Browning A5 (the one with the spring.)

The rest are either military surplus, or inexpensive .22's. Pretty much what you'd expect to find on the average old farm- useful, but nothing of any real collector's value.

If they have been in a fire, they're scrap. Even a thorough cleaning- besides the inevitable pitting- wouldn't restore the heat treatment.

Doc.
                      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Maybe someone can explain to me what is happening here. Apperantly there is a picture here but I do not see it nor a link to one.

I think that this has happened on other threads before but was never sure.
                        Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                        http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

Disregard...
                          Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                          http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

As a person that made his living for several years I feel qualified to comment on this subject. It never ceased to amaze me that people knew when to junk a car, get rid of a useless refrigator or trash a lawnmower. The same people often thought that a gun was something sacred and that any old relic was worthy of restoration. What I see in the photo is so far gone that even if one wanted to spend the time and money on them they may still be unsafe to shoot. Especially if they went through a fire as they look like (heat treatment altered). The garden stake idea has the most merit I have seen so far.

Comment

Makes you sad...?

Yes, looks like the aftermath of a fire....
                              Cut the breech off and set up the parting tool. Great pre-drilled washer stock, as suggested.
                              Or a deep-hole boring bar blank with a coolant passage....
                              The idea of stakes for tomatoes and peppers has lots of merit, and tastes good too.
                              Not worth fooling around to restore/repair, by the looks of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X