Simple control of one stepper motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
    He has some step/dir input servo drives that he want to use with an acorn controller. He want to test the drives first to see if they are viable in his applications so he want to sent the drives simple step/dir commands to have it move the machine around.

sam
    Skunkworks wins the prize.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

All you need for a simple test is a regular 8mm inductive sensor, a switch and a drill with a some kind of gear attached to the chuck. The switch is used to change direction and the sensor will generate the pulses as it detects the gear teeth as the drill rotates.

There are many ways to skin a cat
      Helder Ferreira
      Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

Question....when I control a stepper with say an Arduino, its clearly seems like its stepping. i.e. stepped motion not smooth. With a board like above that is PMW, does it behave differently, more like a smooth electric motor?

side note, a decade ago I was working on project with a weirdo genius and he had some stepper controllers that let you spin them at a few thousand RPM, silky smooth, never any hum or acoustics at any speed. They were expensive and not really commercially available. Apparently buddies buddy would sell these early stage versions to is friend, but it wasn't fully commercialized yet. The breakthrough irrc was mostly software around feedback and derivative controls. I know steppers with accurate positioning at 2500 rpm sounds fishy but I saw it and worked with them, just wondering if this had advanced at all or was commercially available.
        The board above will be just like running of an Arduino.

Probably a very high micro step drive. The higher the micro step the close the motor is running on a true sine wave which means less harmonics. And they probably kick the PWM frequency beyond audio range. Parker makes some drives like this. They are not cheap. There are also variable reluctance motors which operate similar to steppers but don't use a permanent magnet rotor, they are very quiet.

Microstepping is for smoothness, not increasing resolution. Depending on the motor moving from one micro step to another may not even move the rotor, especially at the higher step modes. That why Vexta has the AlphaStep motors which use a feedback sensor that detects if the motor is not in position and command the drive to compensate. The closed loop mode only kicks in when it detects a position error unlike a servo which is full time.

Comment

Working...
        X