Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    I must be missing something. I found a couple name brand 1-3Ph 3HP VFDs on the Drives Warehouse site for a around 3 bills when I looked before posting. $283-321.

Leave a comment:

• JCByrd24
    replied
    The Lapond VFDs come a company called Soyan. They have a pretty decent website. Seem separate from Huan

Leave a comment:

• MaxHeadRoom
    replied
    Originally posted by garagemark View Post
    Well, I have at least one endorsement and a couple of "whatta ya got to lose"! .
    Did you read through the feedback list?
    Mainly positive, even one that gave thumbs up for tech support!
    Usually with the Huan etc, tech support is conspicuous by its absence!
    Even the manual, although apparently long, was reportedly helpful!

Leave a comment:

• Captain K
    replied
    Try Witmer Motor service on ebay. Hitachi 3hp here
    L510-203-H1-U 3 HP Teco Variable Frequency Drive, 1 Ph Input / 3 Ph Out, 230V. | eBay

Leave a comment:

• garagemark
    replied
    Well, I have at least one endorsement and a couple of "whatta ya got to lose"! I really do have little to lose by giving the cheapie a shot, and if it turns out to be a dud, then it'll be a 200 dollar lesson learned. I have learned one or two expensive lessons of my 60 some years.

Thanks all.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    Amazon advertises free returns, so why not just get it and give it a good workout. You could get three of those for about the same cost of the one from Drives Warehouse. I'd say "go for it"!

[edit] Automation Direct has a 1 phase input 3 HP VFD for $225:

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...pose/gs21-23p0
    Last edited by PStechPaul; 03-18-2021, 02:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rdfeil
    replied
    garagemark , I recommend looking at Automation Direct also. I have used their products for over 20 years an like them and their support. The link below is to a 10 Hp 240 volt drive that would work for your 5 Hp motor with a single phase input source.

https://www.automationdirect.com/adc...pose/gs23-2010

Look over the specs, I did not, and they will give you the rating when using single phase. Most drives not specifically built for single phase input will work just fine if derated to half of the rated Hp. I have seen some that only derate 1/3....
    The one I linked to would save you some money and I think they have free shipping on orders this pricey....

Good Luck!!

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Or you could just build an RPC.....
    Entire production shop have been run on muktiple RPC(s), should work for weekend work.

Leave a comment:

• JCByrd24
    replied
    I've purchased 4 of these now of various ratings and they work great. If you email them they will send you the manual before purchase, and the manual is very good as well. I tend to buy one size larger than I need. I've got the 7.5HP version running my 5hp lathe. My only complaint is the input wire terminal size is a little small. Definitely recommend for hobby use.

Leave a comment:

• garagemark
    replied
    "Just spend a third more and get a known drive from Drives Warehouse. If you have issues they will likely even help you set the parameters correctly. One of their guys called me from home on the weekend to help me. Its worth it for the support."

OK, fair enough; I'm all for smooth sailing. So I went to the Drive Warehouse site, and the closest thing I could find is worth 560 smackers.

ODE-3-320153-1042, 230V 1 Phase input, 230V 3 Phase output (driveswarehouse.com)

I'm sure it is probably a couple steps up from what I'm looking at, but it's a tad rich for my wallet. I don't make my living with these machines; I'm just a weekend warrior. I'm not opposed to upping the ante a little bit for something that might give me less trouble, but for a bit less than 200 bucks I have almost three tries to get a cheap smoker to work (I wouldn't do it- one and done if it's junk).

I dunno, I suppose in this price point range, it's all just a crap shoot anyway. But if there IS a "to good to be true... but it is" drive out there that won't break the bank, I'm all ears.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Fixit
    replied
    This message would make me RUN !! It is from the product information page. I agree with Bob go just a bit more in $$ and get a better supported and reviewed drive.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Sometime it will smoke for the first time use due to the impulse current is large when power on, but it does not affect VFD performance,please rest assured to use and it will become normal for next time use.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris

Leave a comment:

• garyhlucas
    replied
    This is one of the few single phase input drives I have seen at 4KW/5hp rating. Almost all manufacturers stopped at 3 hp for a long time, unless you double sized a 3 phase only drive.

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    P.S.
    I have heard stories that Huan Yang drives pretty much just work if used within spec, but there are some Huan Yang knockoffs on Fleabay. (Those everything and a bag of chips for cheap packages you see.) I don't know. I have a couple Huan Yang drives and they just work. I do have the benefit of having floundered my way through the setup of a half dozen different drives.

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    Just spend a third more and get a known drive from Drives Warehouse. If you have issues they will likely even help you set the parameters correctly. One of their guys called me from home on the weekend to help me. Its worth it for the support.
    Last edited by Bob La Londe; 03-17-2021, 06:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• J Tiers
    replied
    Some evidence exists suggesting that "LaPond" is another name for Huanyang, a brand which has varied from acceptable to non-functional.

As with anything, (and especially tech stuff) if it looks too good to be true, it very well may NOT be true... or at least may not be quite what you think it is.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X