Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe Tool Cart / Storage

Lathe Tool Cart / Storage

Do you have a great tool cart to keep your lathe tools organized? Would you mind posting a picture?

I've been using a Horrible Fright tool cart for a while, but the lathe outgrew the tool cart a long time ago... and the cart is pretty much always in the way when I am not using the lathe. Its never held some things very well. Like spare lathe chucks. I did make some mods for holding MT4 taper tools but its not all that great either.

Of course the it seemed like a no brainer to put all the quick change tool holders in the top tray, and just always leave the lid open. Well the top tray tends to accumulate things. I'm not against having a catch all tray on my tool cart. Its just not convenient when its also where tool holders I use all the time are organized.

I'm thinking about purpose building a tool cart for the lathe. I'll put big non swivel cart wheels on it, and when I am not using the lathe it can easily roll up next to the head of the lathe so it doesn't stick out to far. I think I'll set it up to hold chucks on pins near the bottom, have a couple shelves or drawers in the middle, and have racks for MT4 and 250 series quick change tool holders near the top. I'm also considering have a small stock rack on the back side for those items that are too short to put on larger stock racks and to big to throw away.

Do you have a great tool cart to keep your lathe tools organized? Would you mind posting a picture?

I WILL NOT be putting any form of tool racks behind the lathe. My 3HP Chinese import may not be a Monarch or a LeBlond but its still big enough to kill me if I do something stupid like that.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

I elected to put a rack for the tool holders for my new QCTP on the wall behind the lathe. But it is sitting well towards the tail of the bed. So the only thing I reach over is the tail stock. So no risk of getting close to the chuck. In fact reaching for a tool holder means having to lean away from the chuck.

As for the rest of the tools I opted for a roller tool cabinet with a machinist's chest on top sitting up on a riser. The setup shares room for both lathe and shaper tools for obvious reasons.

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch?photoid=1830786&type=thumb.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.7 KB ID:	1934352
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040137.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.80 MB ID:	1934353

I do rather like your idea of the fixed casters that basically turns the cart into a tall drawer. I'd add a soft bumper to the cart or wall so it doesn't crash hard when pushed back.

I'd suggest NOT including the short scraps holder though. Lathe tooling for a 3HP machine is already big and heavy enough. As it is you'll find that any swarf on the floor acts like a parking lot bumper strip due to the weight. And with my own small shorts storage I can assure you that it gets heavy IN A HURRY!. I've got a rack and some file card drawers for all the short offcuts of stock. The rack just for 14 to 48" offcuts is probably 600 lbs. And I've got about a dozen file card drawers full of the shorter than 14" stuff. And each drawer is between 15 and 20 lbs.

Last edited by BCRider; 03-17-2021, 04:46 PM.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I don't have a photo to post, but I love that big carriage movement wheel on your lathe.

Makes me wonder if i could put a larger one on my SB.
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
        I don't have a photo to post, but I love that big carriage movement wheel on your lathe.

Makes me wonder if i could put a larger one on my SB.
        If you make it then it will seem like it was made for it.
        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	902B9A27-5717-4CB8-887C-E4D698831AF4.jpeg
Views:	448
Size:	3.46 MB
ID:	1934433 This is a cart setup I made for Lathe Tooling. Click image for larger version  Name:	B219785E-2BF7-4CEE-815A-85C6EDD73E9D.png Views:	13 Size:	4.85 MB ID:	1934403
          Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 03-18-2021, 12:10 AM.

Comment

Name:	16160961670924751153734754539776.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1934563

Comment

I made a simple angled board and whittled some plastic holders for the QC tool holders.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized_20210306_101317.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	227.5 KB ID:	1934595
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by I make chips View Post
                I made a simple angled board and whittled some plastic holders for the QC tool holders.

Click image for larger version Name:	Resized_20210306_101317.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	227.5 KB ID:	1934595
                Nice job on QC holders,did you machine them in mill is that high density plastic?

Comment

^ They're 5/8 thick x 2" wide pieces of delrin whittled down by a 60 degree dovetail cutter on the mill.

Comment

I love threads like this, and that pic of your cart never gets old Tundra. I need to make a mobile catch all tooling cart soon too.

Comment

Tundra, that degree of organization borders on OCD I wish to hell that I had the space to be 1/4 as organized as your tools are.
                      Fred Townroe

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                        I love threads like this, and that pic of your cart never gets old Tundra. I need to make a mobile catch all tooling cart soon too.
                        Thanks Dan been happy with upgrades to it over time,I still have a space on it to drill more holes in plastic on right side sliding tap holder.
                        Originally posted by ftownroe View Post
                        Tundra, that degree of organization borders on OCD I wish to hell that I had the space to be 1/4 as organized as your tools are.
                        My OCD needs upgrading trying to keep my work benches clean,I’m horrible in that department.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                          ... trying to keep my work benches clean,I’m horrible in that department.
                          That's not horrible - this is horrible (to paraphrase C. Dundee):

Name:	Screenshot_2021-03-21 Reducing Correcting Collet Run Out on a VR300 Snap-On Valve Grinder Inspection and Spindle Rebuild - [...].png
Views:	258
Size:	550.0 KB
ID:	1935019

And that's a surface plate!

Comment

[QUOTE=I make chips;n1934592]I made a simple angled board and whittled some plastic holders for the QC tool holders.

Wow! very nice holders Chips. May I use your idea for my shop? Between you and Tundra I have my work cut out for me with regard to tool storage and organization. Thanks for posting.

Ron

Comment

This my solution. The box swings out of the way over the lathe when I'm not using it. It's a 3" steel pipe post bolted into the concrete. Swings on 2 way bigger than necessary timken bearings, 2" ID I think. Now if I could stop myself from piling other crap on the lathe I'd be in business.
                              2 Photos
                              Toolbox for the lathe - The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop Magazine's BBS
                              Link to other thread about this with full size pictures. They are tiny here for some reason.
                              Last edited by Captain K; 03-21-2021, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X