Stuck arbor on 15 1/2 Craftsman DP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck arbor on 15 1/2 Craftsman DP

Bought a keyless chuck on ebay for my 113.213702 1970's standing DP. Popped the chuck out but the arbor stayed put. The new chuck came on a nice arbor so I thought I want to remove the old one altogether. I snapped on some vise grips and gave a few whacks with a ball peen hammer - it's not moving but I did manage to ruin it. Which is ok.

I went to remove spindle pulley and noticed there is no set screw in the socket, I got this thing for $50 a few years ago and it's been working fine all this time with no set screw! There is no nut topsides - only the top of the spline is visible.

I guess I'll get a puller at the auto parts store but looking for guidance on removing spindle assembly so I can get this on my bench to heat and ice down. I understand it's a Morse #2 in the machine end and J33 at chuck end? I hope not bc my new chuck is J33 both ends. Darn this was supposed to take 30 mins and the day is nearly over now...

Are you certain it HAS an arbor?

There are some DPs that have only the male JXX taper directly on the spindle. Don't know about Craftsman.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

Run the quill all the way down, there's probably a oval slot near the top you can see the end of the morse taper, Use a wedge to push the taper arbor out.
      I cut it off twice; it's still too short
      Oregon, USA

Comment

And, yes, not all spindles have a female taper. If yours doesn't, I hope you haven't scarred the JT33 beyond use!
        I cut it off twice; it's still too short
        Oregon, USA

Comment

• OOh boy, I can prob clean it up if that thing is integral. I had it all apart a few years ago and coulda swore I had that arbor out, but then again... my memory has a mind of its own.

Comment

If you Google your model# you will be able to find a manual. It does not have a morse taper. Hope you can get it cleaned up.
            John b. SW Chicago burbs.

Comment

:$

21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
              1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Craftsman drill presses of the 1970's and earlier did not have Morse arbors, the J33 was integral to the spindle. Or, if not integral, some had the J33 stub roll pinned onto the spindle end..

If the J33 taper has been damaged to the extent it won't hold a chuck on reliably a solution is the tap the end of the spindle. Then the chuck will have to be drilled through to use a screw to hold the chuck on. That was a common fix for damaged J33 tapers. A good many keyless chucks like Albrecht are hardened making drilling near impossible though.

There should be fine threads on the spindle just above the J33 taper, those were used to hold chucks on even if the J33 is damaged. You can buy a chuck with a retaining collar to fit the threads. From memory that chuck would be a Jacobs 633C (around 75 bucks, I recall).

Since a good many cheap, third world import drill presses came with Morse arbors it confuses noobs into thinking earlier American dp's are that way.

Comment

Yep, it's integral:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	1110342L.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	1934484

Comment

Ouch! While not ideal you might be able to carefully file the burrs you created on the taper while leaving most of the surface intact. Then a light overall clean up with a good flat stone. If the chuck doesn't stay on the taper well you can use some green loctite and tap it into place with a plastic dead blow hammer. While it sucks that you damaged the taper its not the end of the world. Your typical drill press is not a precision machine tool. I have three Harbor Freight drill presses and a mill drill in my shop and I use them all the time. Although to be fair the two smaller drill presses are not horrible machines. (The mill drill is actually a quite good drill press.)
                    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
                      Yep, it's integral:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	1110342L.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	1934484
                      Yeah I'm kicking myself, I looked at that drawing - and here's the kicker, I figured they just had not included the details on the arbor type and went looking for a blow up of that area. Just bc in my experience all DP's have an arbor (my Rockwell does, my dad's did) A little assuming (EVEN when reading the manufacturers schematic!) can take you down a long detour...

Comment

So ok I bit the dust on this but I just bought a a used spindle assembly that looks in great condition with the 633 collared chuck for $85. The seller says it's the best one he's seen in a long time. So the thing is my collar was broken on my 633 - not bid deal worked fine, but I have been looking for a better chuck and came across a keyless Jacobs JKP-100-J33 that sells for $250 new for $50 and bought it. It came on an arbor and thus began my one way ticket to stupidville. But now I can use that nice 1/2" arbor on the keyless in my milling machine on an R8, put new bearings in the assembly thats on the way- and basically kid myself into thinking I'm ahead on this massive F up. Hey!

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
                          Craftsman drill presses of the 1970's and earlier did not have Morse arbors, the J33 was integral to the spindle. Or, if not integral, some had the J33 stub roll pinned onto the spindle end..

If the J33 taper has been damaged to the extent it won't hold a chuck on reliably a solution is the tap the end of the spindle. Then the chuck will have to be drilled through to use a screw to hold the chuck on. That was a common fix for damaged J33 tapers. A good many keyless chucks like Albrecht are hardened making drilling near impossible though.

There should be fine threads on the spindle just above the J33 taper, those were used to hold chucks on even if the J33 is damaged. You can buy a chuck with a retaining collar to fit the threads. From memory that chuck would be a Jacobs 633C (around 75 bucks, I recall).

Since a good many cheap, third world import drill presses came with Morse arbors it confuses noobs into thinking earlier American dp's are that way.
                          Yeah exactly, I have a roll pin that I knocked out before taking a few whacks at it. Geez I don't know what's in there until I get it out. But $85 for an new assembly with a new 633 attached I dont feel too awful bad bc I like the idea of putting better bearings in there. Altho come to think of it there is no reason other than curiosity. The dang DP works great as is. I have a Rockwell DP and Rockwell Mill when I need to get precise. For some reason I just always use this DP - maybe cause its quieter than the Rockwell and the light in the head is great.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bill White;n1934499]

........ $85 for an new assembly with a new 633 attached.......................................... .................

Where do you get that for $85? I thought Sears long ago abandoned parts for older tools.

Comment

Ebay, Sorry I think of it as "new" but I should have said replacement assembly. Sorry just an ebay deal - there where two on the block, one rusted POS and the one I got which was almost half the price as the rusty one and looks to be NOS- It's not but it looks like it. And it has a $75 chuck attached that I can use.

Comment

Working...
                              X