Active Fuel management Cylinder Deactivation Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
    What year was your truck ?? I had a 95 F-150, tunnel ram fuel injection etc. etc. That truck loved gas... best it would do is about 13 MPG city driving and on the highway it didn't do any better. I could never figure that out. And it didn't have much for power either.
    All that technology under the hood and that's the best they could do as far as mileage???
    I had older Ford trucks with 4 bbl carbs and the mileage was a whole lot better than 13 mpg.

JL.............
    I had the 1992 4x4 Flareside model with a V8. It got 12 MPG on a good day, 10 MPG under many circumstances such as : headwind. Over 55 MPH. etc. A few years later they got better mileage, or so I was told.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
      My Saab V/4 was a pig, it only got 25 highway --- english built ford V/4 with balancer shafts. I had the little wagon - not sure if it was the model 95 or 96 get them mixed up as which was the wagon and which the sedan,,,

this is the car I learned my big "lean" lesson on, trip to montana and was only getting 25mpg's and was disgusted --- while there I somehow got the main jet out with barely any tools --- made a blunt nose on the end of a nail and found a rock and beat the nail into the mains orifice end effectively shutting it way down...

put it back in and got 35 highway all the way back with only a slight lean bog when you really tromped on it and did not give it much time to respond...

pulled into florence colo. billowing clouds of blue smoke --- fried from the trip just went to bed --- woke up the next morning and did a comprendo test and that's when I verified the hole in the piston lol actually disintegrated a ring land and then broke said rings....
      That wagon was the 95. We had a 96 sedan, and a couple 95s. They did over 30 for sure, and had that same engine, also used, apparently, in the little tractors that towed luggage carts at the airports in the 1960s and 1970s. Drove the 95s on some long trips, like up into Canada, then the yellowhead highway across, then to Rogers Pass and Lake Louise and down thru Washington and Oregon into Cali, and back to St Louis through Nevada and Utah

Never had any holes in the pistons.......
      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

• I pushed it too far - flew too close to the sun and melted a wing... was late teens at the time - school of hard knocks, of course that's what set me up for such success on the tercel, the next time I tried it I had the right equipment to monitor and change the mix on the fly....

Comment

• This first pic is testimony of my current steed being the all time best of the best in MPG ratings,

that's the average mile per gallon rating over the course of the cars life of 147,560 miles --- and the rating is 59.4 mpg,

that's rain or shine --- cold starts/short trips, highway city, the whole shabang....

but that fact is - is that rating took a hit once I bought the car, im sure it was at least 59.7, but I bought it just before winter so do know it probably goes through a little "sine wave" simply for what I witnessed in mileage taking a major hit in the winter time... that's even on the highway on long trips - just never came close to what i was getting in the fall months prior...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05542.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1936002

So - yesterday took the first step of "phase one" of the AKB mod for the first gen houndawg insight --- which is adapt a warm air intake --- warm only when you need it and always cold at full throttle when the vacuum drops off for the actuator... this thing is off of an old chevy -- total sacrilege, but you can see one of the main pieces needed - that "green thing" is a bi-metal spring actuator for the main vacuum assist diaphragm also seen on the snorkel end of the air filter box...

Name:	DSC05543.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1936003

this is the underside where it will be pulling heat off of the header/cat

Name:	DSC05544.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1936004

This is the actuator with the plastic taken off, it is ideal because it's adjustable (see the set screw?)

Name:	DSC05545.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1936005

so should be good ---- kinda got the intake side of it all figured out but still don't know quite what to use for metal on the exhaust side --- yet...

Comment

• perhaps you should start thinking about how to get the latent heat out if your exhaust.

Comment

• Originally posted by dian View Post
              perhaps you should start thinking about how to get the latent heat out if your exhaust.
              I thought that's what I was doing? like I stated awhile back - in effect what this does is on the colder days it will pre-heat the intake air, the ambient temp sensor will pick up on that and tell the computer that the intake air is optimized for proper fuel atomizing, this in turn will regulate a leaner mixture even on cold days which it does not do right now - cold days the computer tosses in a little extra fuel due to the engine "needing it" because things get less efficient in the burning of it...

Comment

• Also said awhile back - I could "trick" the ambient temp sensor --- perhaps either electronically or by throwing it into a warmer atmosphere that's not sensing true intake air temp - but that means the computer would lean the mix when the air is calling for it being fattened up,,, have gotten by with various other vehicles this way and improved things some but im not messing with this car that way, this things already maxed out by the factory and im not comfortable giving it an erroneous reading,,,

all's I want is to create the same conditions for it to be driving down the road on a summers day --- in the dead of winter.

Comment

• what i had in mind was the latent heat of vapor.

Comment

• Originally posted by dian View Post
                    what i had in mind was the latent heat of vapor.
                    That could mean any number of things in which most are very complicated --- Like I said the car is already ultra efficient and im just coming up with something very simple and proven to help it do it's thing in the winter months...

Comment

• Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

That could mean any number of things in which most are very complicated --- Like I said the car is already ultra efficient and im just coming up with something very simple and proven to help it do it's thing in the winter months...
                      Have you thought about blocking off the exhaust and just drilling a 5/32 hole in the cover? I recall one ex member that did that with a generator and it almost made extra gasoline it was so efficient.
                      OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

• LOL

Comment

Working...
                        X