Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Anyone ever try and get an LED mfr to make good on their burn hours claims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
    Grrrr.
    I have probably 2 dozen of these 24/7s, so changing each twice a year when they should last 1.5 years is a noticeable annoyance.
    Sucks.. I use LED now not for the cost savings in re electricity but so I dont have to get up on a ladder every six months (my lights stay on 24/7 also).

They love to talk longevity and power use. They dont expect folks to leave them lit 24/7 I suppose. The driver/power supply deal is real also. I did a tear down of one last year and it was the PS that gave up the ghost. JR

Comment

Many manufactures state a maximum daily usage of 12 hours on their bulbs so 24/7, is out of specification.
      Helder Ferreira
      Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
        Many manufactures state a maximum daily usage of 12 hours on their bulbs so 24/7, is out of specification.
        Nope. I check all the caveats when I buy bulbs because a lot of early LED A base bulbs specified 'not for enclosed fixtures'. I was really annoyed at Sylvania's that said it on the bulb but not on the box.

Comment

I have a pair of LED lights in my kitchen that are on 24/7 and I just recently had to change out one that was installed August 27, 2019. That's 568 days (~13,630 hours) total. If it was on for 12 hrs/day, it should have lasted 1136 days or 3 years, one month and ~10 days.

Comment

LED lifespan info from one maker: https://www.hyperikon.com/blog/how-l...s-really-last/
            What I've observed in similarly sized bulbs from different manufacturers, same style, similar output, color temp., cheaper bulb had noticeably fewer LED string than the better quality one. To obtain the same output, they must be driving the LEDs harder probably resulting in a shorter lifespan. Time will tell, both are just a little over a year old in use in the same fixture.

Comment

Get some Dubai lamps and they will last for ever.
              Sheikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum will make sure of it.

-Doozer
              Last edited by Doozer; 03-19-2021, 10:00 PM.
              DZER

Comment

Most manufacturers of low cost, consumer items want you to take the item back to the store where you purchased it. Take it back to Costco. Show them the install date and the numbers showing only 4800 hours. They can not dispute your numbers if you did leave it on 24-7. It would help if you have your DATED receipt. See what they say.

Originally posted by gellfex View Post

I get these at Costco, they're usually very meticulous about not selling crap. I guess every rule has an exception.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I purchased 40 Sunco 48" fluorescent replacement LED bulbs about 3 years ago and installed them in my home and shop. Some of them are even outdoors on a screen porch. The ones in my shop are in $20 (CHEAP), two tube fixtures as sold in the home supply stores. 39 were installed and one remains in a corner of my store room, as a spare: I dust it from time to time.

To date, I have not had ONE single problem with any of them. NOT even a flicker!

YES, I did pay more than $1.50 each for them. They were around $8 or $9 each.

You get what you pay for?
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                  You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                    I purchased 40 Sunco 48" fluorescent replacement LED bulbs about 3 years ago and installed them in my home and shop. Some of them are even outdoors on a screen porch. The ones in my shop are in $20 (CHEAP), two tube fixtures as sold in the home supply stores. 39 were installed and one remains in a corner of my store room, as a spare: I dust it from time to time.

To date, I have not had ONE single problem with any of them. NOT even a flicker!

3 yrs of being turned on only when needed might not add up to even 5k hrs. I've had LED tubes in my shop for more years than that without issue, the only failure was one that I dropped flickers unusably.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                      Get some Dubai lamps and they will last for ever.
                      Sheikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum will make sure of it.

-Doozer
                      BigClive on YouToob did a deep dive on the Dubai lamps and why they last so long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klaJqofCsu4&t=1312s

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post

T-5 or T-8's and A19 bulbs, apples and oranges.

Comment

I just had one fail LED shop light that was 25,000 hours rated, lasted 1/3 that. Took apart just now and it was a bitch to get apart. Strip inside a plastic tube, looks like the strip had just failed. POS from Amazon which surprise no longer sells!
                          Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Just had another crap out at 6300 hrs.

Comment

Working...
                            X