Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lovemesomemachines
    • Jul 2020

Fasttrack...Thank you for the response. I appreciate you taking time to do the simulation. Interesting indeed. If the local fabricator is able to build one out of steel, all TIG'd together, and it's cheaper than 80/20, I'll have them build it. Maybe even a little beefier.

J Tiers...That's a good point about a buddy using it. This is one of the reasons I don't lend any of my tools to anyone. In this case, the gantry wouldn't leave my garage unless I move somewhere else and then it would stay in that garage/shop.

Comment

• lovemesomemachines
      • Jul 2020

The local fabricator passed on making the gantry for me. It looks like I'll have to make it with 80/20 parts after all.

Comment

• SVS
        • Sep 2004

Curious what capability you have for drilling and sawing, and what you expect the 80/20 material to cost?

Idly brainstorming price comparison and what sort of flat iron and angle iron clips I’d use to bolt a gantry together if my welding hand caught gingivitis or something......

​​​​​​​

Comment

• J Tiers
          • Jan 2004

The beam rests on the posts, that's strong and no fasteners in shear.

Angle clips to hold the beam in place, from the post web (if it is I-beam) to the beam flange. Gusset braces from flange-to-flange between post and beam. Don't need to be plate, can be angle or t-pieces. Angle is easiest.

Angle clips are the best plan in general for bolting/riveting. Long history in ships, buildings, and bridges, work well, and can be made with a hacksaw and drill, starting with ordinary steel angle.

Size of the beam depends on span, and allowable sag.
          CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• BCRider
            • Dec 2015

Re my sketch.. Now it's not there for me either. So let's try again. By now you've likely made up how you want to do it anyway but you or someone else might get something out of this.

Here we go ONE MORE TIME ! ! !

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gantry hoist.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	1935403
            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• JoeLee
              • Aug 2009

There are hundreds of different designs out there. Should be no problem copying and or modifying any of them to fit your space constraints.

If it's something that is going to spend more time in storage than in use then I would bolt it together so it can be easily disassembled and stored.

JL..............

Comment

• BCRider
                • Dec 2015

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                If it's something that is going to spend more time in storage than in use then I would bolt it together so it can be easily disassembled and stored.

JL..............
                Yep. Unless our hobby is moving big heavy things around for fun then this is always the case.

One thing with a gantry as being discussed in this thread is that it can nestle into a spot with other items placed around it and within the arch of the gantry. And when stowed away like this it effectively disappears into the shop "background" until wheeled out to use.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• JoeLee
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by BCRider View Post

Yep. Unless our hobby is moving big heavy things around for fun then this is always the case.

One thing with a gantry as being discussed in this thread is that it can nestle into a spot with other items placed around it and within the arch of the gantry. And when stowed away like this it effectively disappears into the shop "background" until wheeled out to use.
                  That's right. But what if someday you have to move it for what ever reason and you welded it together?

Suppose you find a nice machine somewhere and the only way to move it and load it on your truck or trailer is with small gantry crane.

JL................

Comment

• reggie_obe
                    • Jun 2004

There are hundreds of different designs out there. Should be no problem copying and or modifying any of them to fit your space constraints.

JL..............
                    Companies like Spanco, Wallace and others all make adjustable height/span gantry cranes that assemple with pins and quick release cotters.

Comment

• BCRider
                      • Dec 2015

That's right. But what if someday you have to move it for what ever reason and you welded it together?

Suppose you find a nice machine somewhere and the only way to move it and load it on your truck or trailer is with small gantry crane.

JL................
                      And another agreement "yep". And that's where we come back to the idea of bolting the whole thing together instead of welding. Bolting gives us more options. Welding needs a different sort of .... er.... wrench...
                      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

• lovemesomemachines
                        • Jul 2020

SVS...Thanks for the reply. I have a small DeWALT 12V hand drill; OK, you can laugh now. I know how much the 80/20 material costs as I created a spreadsheet BOM for it. It's definitely not cheap but cheaper than a gantry/crane professionally made. The bad part about a professionally made off the shelf gantry/crane is that it won't fit the spot in my garage. I can only imagine the price of one that a professional gantry maker would build for me.

BCRider...I can see your sketch now. Thanks.

JoeLee...Thank you for the reply. I really have been through the search engines looking at designs. I have a design in my head and a little on paper for my limited space. Luckily, at least in my case, I can push the gantry/crane up against the wall with my machine tool on the floor under it and it would be out of the way. At present, which of course is subject to change, I don't intend on taking that gantry/crane out of my garage unless I physically move to a new home.

The positive I guess using 80/20 material is that I could build it exactly how I want it.
                        Last edited by lovemesomemachines; 03-23-2021, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• john b
                          • Jun 2010

You should check out your local scrapyard aluminum pile. I found some 80 /20 at mine, great stuff and less expensive.
                          John b. SW Chicago burbs.

Comment

• jmarkwolf
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post

I hate to be "that guy" but 80/20 is insanely expensive and you can buy the HF 1 ton gantry for $600 right now as a member of the insider track club. This gantry can have its uprights cut down to fit under and 8' tall door.
                            I'm with Mike.

For the money the HF gantry is a good buy, although I wouldn't use it at rated capacity, change out the nuts and bolts to grade 8, and get better casters.

And if you don't need the telescoping uprights, you could probably remove them and adapt the I-beam directly to the fixed uprights.
                            Last edited by jmarkwolf; 03-24-2021, 06:22 AM.

Comment

• lovemesomemachines
                              • Jul 2020

Ok...This is where I'm at. I've ordered 6, 1000 pound lockable casters from McMaster. I've ordered the aluminum extrusion from 80/20. I already had the 2000 pound Harbor Freight electric hoist. Other than waiting for my parts to come in, I'm wondering how I might attach the hoist to 2, 1-ton trolleys from Harbor Freight? I've taken some screenshots from those who have the same electric hoist that I have and their configurations. One screenshot shows a mounting plate on top of the hoist that attaches to the trolley swing rings, a couple of other screenshots show twisted shackles hanging on the trolley swing rings and I can't tell what the others are. The twisted shackles might work, however, I can't seem to find 2 that will accommodate the hoist's hanging brackets that are 1 and 15/16 inches wide. I'm not looking to do any fabricating here, just something easy to get the hoist attached as close to the trolleys as possible. Any ideas would be great.

I guess I could grind the hoist's hanging brackets back just enough to fit through the trolley swing rings.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by lovemesomemachines; 04-02-2021, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• Dave C
                                • Mar 2015

Since you don't want to do any fabricating, I don't have any suggestions. I could ask several questions though, but that would be pointless. I do have to ask about the 80/20 though. Who are you ordering it from, did I miss something?
                                Last edited by Dave C; 04-02-2021, 02:40 PM.
                                “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Working...
                                X