Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replied
    Originally posted by lovemesomemachines View Post
    eric_h...Thank you for the reply. My design has the 80/20 heavy aluminum 3030-S buttressed from the feet to the legs and from the legs to the I-beam. I'll keep an ear and an eye out for any type of fatiguing or cracking.
    Just like aircraft hopefully get replaced , before service life is exceeded..

Leave a comment:

• lovemesomemachines
    replied
    metalmagpie...Thank you for the response. I looked the Genie SuperLift up online. Nice idea.

Leave a comment:

• metalmagpie
    replied
    To answer one of your original questions, the way to lift up a beam is with a Genie SuperLift. Your local tool rental place will probably have them. I just rented one to put mine back up. It was $55, about what I'd expect to pay for an engine hoist.

Here's a shot:

The SuperLift is like a tall light duty hand-cranked forklift except you can't move it with a load on. This particular one can lift 600 pounds 18 feet in the air.

metalmagpie

Leave a comment:

• Arcane
    replied
    Originally posted by lovemesomemachines View Post
    Arcane...Thank you for the reply. I've attached another screenshot. This may be close to what you are talking about.
    Yes, very close to what I was envisioning. If the one leg on the angle iron is long enough it eliminates the need for separate link.

Leave a comment:

• lovemesomemachines
    replied
    One of the issues I may run into is that I have the I-beam sitting on a long piece of 1530-S between the legs that's 1.5 inches thick. Although this 1530-S may add a little support, I was using it more for the I-beam to sit on while I use 80/20 plates on the sides of the legs at the top which I can raise up enough over top of the legs, and the 1530-S, to create a cradle for the I-beam to sit in as I didn't have a way to connect the I-beam to the tops of the legs. I know, clear as mud.

What may happen is when the trolley is attached to the I-beam, the trolley's swing ring may hit the bottom of the 1530-S aluminum and not be able to travel along the I-beam. The trolley may not even fit. I'm not sure that I can find a trolley that is just a smidge taller to account for the swing ring not touching the bottom of the 1530-S. Without having a trolley at present, I can't take any measurements to see.
    Last edited by lovemesomemachines; 04-03-2021, 11:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lovemesomemachines
    replied
    eric_h...Thank you for the reply. My design has the 80/20 heavy aluminum 3030-S buttressed from the feet to the legs and from the legs to the I-beam. I'll keep an ear and an eye out for any type of fatiguing or cracking.

Leave a comment:

• lovemesomemachines
    replied
    Arcane...Thank you for the reply. I've attached another screenshot. This may be close to what you are talking about.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• eric_h
    replied
    One thing to think about is the fatigue life of the aluminum extrusions.
    If you move any significant weight it will fatigue, and it will eventually crack.

Leave a comment:

• Arcane
    replied
    Get two pieces of decent sized angle iron and replace the bracket on top of the hoist with them, then use flat plate to link from the large through bolts in the dollies down to the angle irons. Drill holes where necessary and use appropriate sized bolts.

Leave a comment:

• lovemesomemachines
    replied
    I can't do any fabricating as I don't have one of the main tools for fabricating, a welder. However, I do have a grinder. I think my best bet is to grind the hoist's hanging brackets to fit through the trolley swing rings.

I ordered the 80/20 parts direct from 80/20. I know, I know, they are expensive but in the end I'll have a custom sized gantry/crane to fit the space I have in my small garage.

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    Since you don't want to do any fabricating, I don't have any suggestions. I could ask several questions though, but that would be pointless. I do have to ask about the 80/20 though. Who are you ordering it from, did I miss something?
    Last edited by Dave C; 04-02-2021, 02:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lovemesomemachines
    replied
    Ok...This is where I'm at. I've ordered 6, 1000 pound lockable casters from McMaster. I've ordered the aluminum extrusion from 80/20. I already had the 2000 pound Harbor Freight electric hoist. Other than waiting for my parts to come in, I'm wondering how I might attach the hoist to 2, 1-ton trolleys from Harbor Freight? I've taken some screenshots from those who have the same electric hoist that I have and their configurations. One screenshot shows a mounting plate on top of the hoist that attaches to the trolley swing rings, a couple of other screenshots show twisted shackles hanging on the trolley swing rings and I can't tell what the others are. The twisted shackles might work, however, I can't seem to find 2 that will accommodate the hoist's hanging brackets that are 1 and 15/16 inches wide. I'm not looking to do any fabricating here, just something easy to get the hoist attached as close to the trolleys as possible. Any ideas would be great.

I guess I could grind the hoist's hanging brackets back just enough to fit through the trolley swing rings.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by lovemesomemachines; 04-02-2021, 12:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jmarkwolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post

I hate to be "that guy" but 80/20 is insanely expensive and you can buy the HF 1 ton gantry for $600 right now as a member of the insider track club. This gantry can have its uprights cut down to fit under and 8' tall door.
    I'm with Mike.

For the money the HF gantry is a good buy, although I wouldn't use it at rated capacity, change out the nuts and bolts to grade 8, and get better casters.

And if you don't need the telescoping uprights, you could probably remove them and adapt the I-beam directly to the fixed uprights.
    Last edited by jmarkwolf; 03-24-2021, 06:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• john b
    replied
    You should check out your local scrapyard aluminum pile. I found some 80 /20 at mine, great stuff and less expensive.

Leave a comment:

• lovemesomemachines
    replied
    SVS...Thanks for the reply. I have a small DeWALT 12V hand drill; OK, you can laugh now. I know how much the 80/20 material costs as I created a spreadsheet BOM for it. It's definitely not cheap but cheaper than a gantry/crane professionally made. The bad part about a professionally made off the shelf gantry/crane is that it won't fit the spot in my garage. I can only imagine the price of one that a professional gantry maker would build for me.

BCRider...I can see your sketch now. Thanks.

JoeLee...Thank you for the reply. I really have been through the search engines looking at designs. I have a design in my head and a little on paper for my limited space. Luckily, at least in my case, I can push the gantry/crane up against the wall with my machine tool on the floor under it and it would be out of the way. At present, which of course is subject to change, I don't intend on taking that gantry/crane out of my garage unless I physically move to a new home.

The positive I guess using 80/20 material is that I could build it exactly how I want it.
    Last edited by lovemesomemachines; 03-23-2021, 04:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X