Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Bought a(nother) Lathe

This time it's all mine.

I figured I ougt to start my shop out small, just a 20x60.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210319_174531.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1934819

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210319_175128.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1934818

Price was scrap, and that's exactly what I may do with it. Seems to have a lot of problems in the tailstock, apron, and a few in the feedbox. Gonna need new belts, etc. It all depends on how good the ballscrew and ways are. If those are good, I'll fix the rest. Compound definitely has issues. I'll make my money back on the accessories if I scrap it.

I'm not documenting this in an bunch of places though. Just PM. Waayy to much work. But I thought I'd let you all that like to follow me rebuilding garbage. https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...r-scrap-389047
    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Are parts available for the Daewoo? How old is it. Good luck.
    Sarge41

Comment

Originally posted by sarge41 View Post
      Are parts available for the Daewoo? How old is it. Good luck.
      Sarge41
      Doubt it. That hasn't stopped me before. When parts are available, I can't afford them anyway. Hasn't stopped me in the past. If it's not critical I'll make or repair it. If it is critical, to the scrapyard it goes. Then I have a 10hp motor for my phase converter, a bunch of contactors, a 5 speed gearbox for a belt drive lathe, a toolpost, chuck, and maybe a tailstock I can adapt to the Sidney lathe. And most of my money back.

December 15th, 1980 is the date on the tag.

Thanks!

Comment

for swome reason I keep thinking that Daewoo is compatible with whacheon and webb ? Congrats anyway! Jealous. My shop is a spare bedroom, with welding out back under a 6x10 lean-to. Hope it works out OK for ya! I'm betting hte ways etc will be OK but somebody crashed the crap out of it a few times.

Comment

Should be a stout machine, very few manual lathes feature ball screws, be wary of the brake as ball screws are easily back driven.

Have fun

Comment

I got a feeling it'll clean up nicely and work OK for you for a long time... obviously some clown was trying to "power shift" the gears without waiting... get all that fixes, and the compound and a fresh chuck, and I bet it turns into a real nice machine.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
              for swome reason I keep thinking that Daewoo is compatible with whacheon and webb ? Congrats anyway! Jealous. My shop is a spare bedroom, with welding out back under a 6x10 lean-to. Hope it works out OK for ya! I'm betting hte ways etc will be OK but somebody crashed the crap out of it a few times.
              Probably a reasonable assumption. It's a licensed copy of a Japanese Ikegai. http://www.lathes.co.uk/ikegai/

Only difference I've seen is that the spindle bore was bumped for 1.75" to 3", with a D1-8.

What makes you think someone crashed it? I think that's probably the only thing that hasn't been done to it.

Originally posted by Bented View Post
              Should be a stout machine, very few manual lathes feature ball screws, be wary of the brake as ball screws are easily back driven.

Have fun.
              No brake on this machine.

Thanks, we all know that's why I dragged this POC home.

I got a feeling it'll clean up nicely and work OK for you for a long time... obviously some clown was trying to "power shift" the gears without waiting... get all that fixes, and the compound and a fresh chuck, and I bet it turns into a real nice machine.
              Again, what's giving you that impression regarding powershifting?

Comment

Noah, I am happy for ya. It looks like a cool lathe.
                Are you going to post a video on it ? ? ?

-Doozer
                DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                  Noah, I am happy for ya. It looks like a cool lathe.
                  Are you going to post a video on it ? ? ?

-Doozer
                  Thanks Doozer.

Yeah probably. It's so much easier to make a video at my own home alone where all my camera gear is, vs out at the shop, where there is multiple people and lots of noise.

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

No brake on this machine
                    What keeps the leadscrews from back driving?

Comment

What makes you think someone crashed it? I think that's probably the only thing that hasn't been done to it.
                      Again, what's giving you that impression regarding powershifting?
                      What you were saying about some levers moving and doing nothing, and other levers not moving at all. Maybe "crashed" was not the right word, but I'm sure "abused" fits. Either way, I think it'll clean up into a nice machine.

Comment

Wow. This thing is a licensed copy of a Ikegai A-20? And you picked it up for scrap price? That's an automatic "you suck" right there. Looked at some details from your posting on the other site. Yeah, the thing is dirty, but if that's mostly from graphite there's not a lot of harm in a machine tool being covered in a dry lube. Maybe some wear and tear, with the emphasis on tear, but that's still substantial amounts of machine for the price. Hopefully things work out that you can keep it. Congratulations.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post

What keeps the leadscrews from back driving?
                          Care to explain better what you mean?

Maybe this will help: as far as I understand it, the leadscrew is fixed. It never turns. The nut is secured between (I assume) angular contact bearings, and is gear driven for all functions by the feed rod. Even the handle is geared to turn the ball nut. There is no rack on this lathe.

What you were saying about some levers moving and doing nothing, and other levers not moving at all. Maybe "crashed" was not the right word, but I'm sure "abused" fits. Either way, I think it'll clean up into a nice machine.
                          Abused 100%.

Originally posted by tom_d View Post
                          Wow. This thing is a licensed copy of a Ikegai A-20? And you picked it up for scrap price? That's an automatic "you suck" right there. Looked at some details from your posting on the other site. Yeah, the thing is dirty, but if that's mostly from graphite there's not a lot of harm in a machine tool being covered in a dry lube. Maybe some wear and tear, with the emphasis on tear, but that's still substantial amounts of machine for the price. Hopefully things work out that you can keep it. Congratulations.
                          Yep. It was sold by my work, so I had relatively little competition. Graphite is ok, but I know they polished Zirconia and other crap on it as well. However, when I clean the ways off in select areas, they seem to have zero scratches or dings. Even the Nardini I use daily has next to zero scratches or dings. None of the normal "I dropped a chuck/part on it" crap. Personally I doubt the 3 jaw have ever been off.

The Aloris CA with 4 holders that came with it was the real deal.

Comment

Abused 100%.

The Aloris CA with 4 holders that came with it was the real deal.
                            Dude you STOLE it.... ok, you suck. You bought a tool post and got the lathe for free.

Comment

2 speed tailstock ? If it is, and I rarely say this ... then you suck...
                              I always wanted a 2 spd tailstock..... closest I came to it l. My HERBERT 2D has a 2 spd cross slide.

Comment

Working...
                              X