No announcement yet.

OT: wheelbarrow tire replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 for the "solid" tyre. Would never go back to pneumatic for a wheelbarrow. Life's too short to spend it mending punctures.

Comment

What I have done in the past to facilitate seating tire beads was to make up short pieces of 1 x 2 lumber a couple of inches longer than the rim width and wedge 4 of them into the tires. After a day or two I would take them out and the tire remained spread apart. Mind you, this only works if you have the time and can preplan things.

Many, many years ago I got tired of having to air up my wheelbarrow's tire every time I infrequently needed to use it so one day I bought one of these solid rubber wheel assemblies and it was well worth it. That's hard rubber, too...not the foam type. My barrow is just a gardener type one with a smaller wheel and I rarely have need of it but at least now I don't have to fool around airing it up every time I do need it.

Comment

The tire shop I took a lawn tractor tire to for mounting a few years ago had a portable air tank with a shop made nozzle thing and a ball valve as a safer alternative to the lighter-fluid-and-match method. Might not be worth building one for home use but if you are in the business and don't want to burn your shop down...
        Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

I'm glad you got it done!

Sometimes letting the new tire lay in the sunshine for a while will make it pliable enough to get the bead seated.

Comment

Originally posted by flathead4 View Post
            The tire shop I took a lawn tractor tire to for mounting a few years ago had a portable air tank with a shop made nozzle thing and a ball valve as a safer alternative to the lighter-fluid-and-match method. Might not be worth building one for home use but if you are in the business and don't want to burn your shop down...
            Those are pretty affordable on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Gallon-A...EAAOSwojRgSD4W

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post

Those are pretty affordable on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Gallon-A...EAAOSwojRgSD4W
              Those tanks work. Sometimes. I'll give it two tries and then it's the last resort option with the starting fluid and a match. When using the air tank method be sure to use some hearing protection! With either method put a self holding air chuck on the stem first so there is air inflating the tire as soon as the bead seats enough to hold air.

Comment

Originally posted by 4miller1 View Post
                The new tires are crap.
                That's because they are made in china.

JL...................

Comment

Originally posted by tom_d View Post

Those tanks work. Sometimes. I'll give it two tries and then it's the last resort option with the starting fluid and a match. When using the air tank method be sure to use some hearing protection! With either method put a self holding air chuck on the stem first so there is air inflating the tire as soon as the bead seats enough to hold air.
                  If the cheap tire is so flat as BF described it and you can't push the sides out by strapping the center you'll never be able to get enough volume of air through the valve stem to blow the sides out to contact the rim.
                  I put tubes in them. Problem solved.

JL...............

Comment

Working...
                  X