Strange extended chuck on Southbend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange extended chuck on Southbend

I have just seen this Southbend for sale on ebay in the UK, and the chuck is on some kind of extension. Can anyone think why?https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/metal-lat...IAAOSwFnNgVmmx

Looks like someone made an adapter to use the only chuck that was available at the time. Adapt and improvise. Not the most rugged of setups, but if it worked for the operator that's all that really matters.

Comment

Could be someone made a longer spindle to get the chuck out past the warn ways.

Comment

I'm in agreement with Tom_D. Looks like a sleeve has been screwed onto the spindle nose to adapt to a different thread.
        Why not buy it and solve the mystery?

Comment

Such a mod fits with another notable 'less than ideal' situation. In one of the photos the flat belt is obviously bent over, and riding upon, the bracket. Easy enough to fix with a shorter belt. Otherwise it looks like all the big parts are there and it might be worth a try if it goes for a reasonable price.
          Southwest Utah

Comment

Same machine that I have, but mine is in better condition. 150 lbs sterling for that lathe is such a good deal that I would be all over it right now. Very likely someone made the extension to get around some wear, or for a special job. It helps to remember that they did not harden the ways prior to about 1950 as far as i know. The wartime lathes tend to be particularly worn out. However much of what you see in the ad could work with the Aussie Hercus, and maybe a few others (Boxford?)
            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Might just be an adapter from the stock size to one which fit the backplate on the chuck too. But yeah, it's a terrible setup for any sort of serious work.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

it's got a T-slot cross slide too, don't see many of those. I wonder how you change the belt though, doesn't look like there's anyway to release the belt tension?

Comment

Seen somthing like it when a guy couldn’t get the part up the spout so he made a kind of jump adaptor to fit the bigger diameter
                  mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                    Seen somthing like it when a guy couldn’t get the part up the spout so he made a kind of jump adaptor to fit the bigger diameter
                    mark
                    That sounds like the most reasonable explanation.

Comment

The crosslide looks like an MLA crosslide made from a kit
                      CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

south bend did sell t-slot cross slides, probably as an option, though I've no more info than that.

Comment

Originally posted by ImFred View Post
                          Could be someone made a longer spindle to get the chuck out past the warn ways.
                          Thought about that, but then I wonder what little would be gained in accuracy compared to appears to be a major loss in rigidity.

Comment

maybe for brake rotors.

Comment

I like the brake rotor suggestion from dian, although doing up the chuck jaws could be difficult.
                              With the current lockdown in place, it might be hard to sell as St Austel is fairly remote even in a small island such as this one.
                              Last edited by old mart; 03-22-2021, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X