Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retired Inventor needs machining help

I am looking for a machinist hobbyist who can help me to build some small
    parts max. dia 1.4" in stainless for a new invention. Preferably in Southern California. I live in Orange County -Long Beach area. Some lathe work and some milling. You can call me at
    (562)980-6897

Inventors don't retire, they just watch more TV.
    Once an inventor, always an inventor.

How about introducing yourself and taking part in some discussions. I'm sure that some of us would enjoy hearing more about your needs. I have no doubt that many of us here could make your part for you, but most of us are busy on our own interests. Please don't expect people here to jump out to make you a custom part for free. And keep in mind this isn't a commercial site, it's more for hobby people (some of considerable experience.). You might have some luck with someone, and you might even get a part made for a fair fee, but I think you'll have to be much more interesting than you've been so far.

Comment

What are you inventing (general terms should do)? There are people on the board that live in your vicinity but you need to make it interesting. Are you willing to pay for work? Also, isn't "new invention" somewhat redundant?
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Evan,
        If he was willing to pay he'd be a business, not an inventor.

Sorry, couldn't resist the cheap shot. Come out and play. Let us know what you're working on.

Comment

WOW, and you guys think I am harsh.

Comment

I agree Wolfie.

Where does everyone get the idea he wants it done for free? ..Huh?
            It struck me simply as an initial 'feeler' posted to establish dialogue with someone, during which the particulars would be divulged.

Tho I will agree the term "retired inventor" raises some interesting questions. Maybe he meant he's retired from some other vocation and is now an inventor.
            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

C'mon guys give the poor man a chance he's just introduced himself and he's already being taken apart thats unfair we never used to be like this don't lets start emulating other less sophisticated sites .Alistair
              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I don't think we are being too harsh Alistair. As a sweeping generalization (usually true), private inventors are normally up against the wall for funds. It may be possible to interest someone to help with the work, even for "free", but it will take some more convincing. Also, there is no reason not to give some idea what is being worked on, such as "I am working on a better way to homogenize milk..." or some such. As well, if Ted is willing to pay for work he should say so. That will definitely attract more interest.

Comment

Originally posted by IOWOLF
                  WOW, and you guys think I am harsh.
                  Must be the way I'm reading it too IO !! Me thinks there just giving him fair warning that a little more info might net him a differant response! But hey, it's early in the thread yet Wait til the rest of the crew smell the fresh blood !! It reads a little harsh but don't think it's meant too.....
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Yes, it is annoying when a newcomer, instead of being welcomed is criticized and possibly driven away.

Nowhere did he say he wanted anything for free, and it is plain rude to assume he is looking for a hand out. Since advertising is discouraged here, the lack of monetary discussion is not inappropriate.

If he has previous inventions to his credit, this would certainly be a new (to him) invention.
                    Jim H.

Comment

Ted, Email me, I am in Iowa but something can be worked out.

Comment

nothing ventured, nothing gained

The man said retired inventor, not unemployed inventor!

That would indicate a slight difference in the available amount of capital and experiance, no?
                        Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Comment

Hello
                          I have done a lot of prototype lathe and or mill one of a kind. Most of the time it takes a lot of time and mid fabrication changes that shops are not interested in. That being said some small parts are a natural for a screw machine or a cnc machine (BUT) it takes time to program a cnc or make cams for a screw machine. What I'm trying to get across if you make one part it may cost $100 or if you make thousands it may cost $1 each. I have a friend who forges an item, costs him from $700 to a $1000 to make one but for 10k the price is down to less than $1. This is a long and rambling reply but there would have to be more general info to make a reasonable guess on what the end price would be. Anyway I for one would be inerested in the final resolution of this problem. my two cents worth.
                          re
                          Herm Williams

Comment

hey this question is for the inventor

-what inventions have u patent so far
                            i am really interested
                            thanks

Comment

Since advertising is discouraged here, the lack of monetary discussion is not inappropriate.
                              There is a distinct difference between promoting your goods and hiring.

Comment

Working...
                              X