OT/ Website software and browsers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT/ Website software and browsers

We have already discussed this website not liking old Internet Explorer software, and I had to download Firefox to post with my computer. Lately I cannot sign in with my Ipad. If I upgraded to a new computer and Ipad, would they likely work with this website?
    I admit I've lost contact with the computer world, but I thought when a website builder set one up, he just put in switches and links. I would have thought any browser software would trigger the link. Obviously that is not the case, but can anyone explain what is changing that my older equipment will not interface with?

Depending on how old your computer is, many things may have changed. There are browsers that will work with some of the older operating systems. You might try one called "Pale Moon". Someone on this site suggested it a couple of years ago and I added to my collection of browsers. It works well and is quite fast. I am running Windows 10 Pro and have no issues with this or really any other sites. Another thing I would suggest is an app called "Open Shell". That can make your desktop interface look like windows 7 or even XP if you want. I have it on many computers that I have set up including 4 of my own. Zero issues and much easier to use than the basic Windows 10. Windows 10 was designed to work on smart phones and touch screen laptops and tablets. They gave up ease of use on desktops to get that. I am not a "touch screen" person and Open Shell really made a difference. Actually I had it on Windows 7 machines before I had to upgrade all my machines to 10. Lots of the older programs will not work on 10 even in compatibility mode. We have some expensive software and held off doing the upgrade for a few years and finally bit the bullet and went to 10 and bought the upgrade. The upgrade was about $500 for that one program.
    Peter
    Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Paine View Post
      I admit I've lost contact with the computer world, but I thought when a website builder set one up, he just put in switches and links. I would have thought any browser software would trigger the link. Obviously that is not the case, but can anyone explain what is changing that my older equipment will not interface with?
      There are new standards that are being implemented and there are old standards that are being discarded. That's most likely what you are running into. If you are running into links that will not launch there is a good possibility that they are using HTML5 (a recent development) or maybe flash (recently discontinued).

Yes, a new computer should come with more up to date software.

Dan
      Last edited by danlb; 03-26-2021, 08:31 PM.
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

I do not have any experience with iPads, but as for your computer there really is no reason not to upgrade at least to Windows 10. First more than one computer (IP) expert has told me that computers really should be kept up to date. That way they are safer from malware and will operate at their best. If you are worried about the age of your computer, I can say that I have a 10+ year old, lowest price one at WalMart at the time, laptop that was upgraded from Windows 7 and is running Windows 10 just fine. So my advise for the computer is to upgrade to Windows 10. I also have Windows 10 on the desk top that I am presently using.

As for a browser, I presently use Firefox and have no complaints. But I have used several versions of the Microsoft browser and also Chrome. Again, no problems.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

runs fine on xp.

Comment

I have been using Linux along with firefox for many many years and never had any issues with this forum. I also have WIn10 on a computer dedicated to CAD (fusion 360 until recently, now solidworks), no complaints really but the computer never is used for internet things.

Comment

Try Brave browser, say good by to tracking and adds at the same time.
              Its fantastic.
              Cheers,
              Jon

Comment

I'm reading this on an old Toshiba Satellite laptop that I bought on 11/11/2011. It's running Windows 7 on it and runs fine everywhere I surf. I also have a Lenovo laptop that is less than a year old with SSHD and lots of bells and whistles but it has Windows 10 and I haven't taken the time to learn the ins and outs of it yet. Why oh why do they feel the need to totally start over when they go from one version of Windows to another. I couldn't even find my icon for wireless until I looked it up on the net.
                OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Heron View Post
                  Its fantastic.
                  Cheers,
                  Jon
                  What's their catch then? What's their revenue source?
                  OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01 View Post

What's their catch then? What's their revenue source?
                    Check it out, the explanation is on the website. https://brave.com/features/
                    Basically it uses BAT for currency and you can can choose the websites that get the revenue which they lose out on due to blocked adds.
                    I have been using it for around 6 months now, its fast and fantastic, I will not be going back to chrome or Mozilla.
                    Cheers,
                    Jon

Comment

Really a big part of this is economics. New revenue has to be generated,...designed obsolescence. To continue to generate revenue, new software has to be written and sold. Also it is almost impossible to cost justify maintaining support for numerous old software versions, especially as those begin to decline in number.
                      S E Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Heron View Post
                        Its fantastic.
                        Cheers,
                        Jon
                        i tried it and moved all my bookmarks. was fine for 3 weeks. then popups started and commercial vids on youtube etc. its the only browser that provided me with two or three consecutive of these. i deleted it.

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post

i tried it and moved all my bookmarks. was fine for 3 weeks. then popups started and commercial vids on youtube etc. its the only browser that provided me with two or three consecutive of these. i deleted it.
                          So far no issues for me, working great for a couple of months now at least. I am running it on Fedora33 linux. The wife is also running it on her linux laptop.
                          Cheers,
                          Jon

Comment

I bought a refurb Thinkpad a couple years ago, came with Win10. I loaded Linux Mint 19.3, completely wiped Win10 off the drive. It came with Firefox, but I recently switched to Dissenter browser, which is an offshoot of Brave. Dissenter does a pretty good job of ad blocking, but I added uBlock Origin, and nary an ad gets through. I have yet to find a website that I couldn't access.

Comment

Simple buy a new IPad if you don't need a desktop for any Windows software. You can print to your printer and we have a Brother that links via wireless to our Apple devices. The printer costs less than $100 and its only a black and white laser.
                              Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

Working...
                              X