No announcement yet.

Container Ship Stuck In The Suez Canal OT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would think that all those computer controlled navigational side thrusters would have kept that ship from wandering as it did.
    I'm sure if the navigational systems would have had to start correcting course before the ship started to veer off, especially in a narrow channel.The computers might respond fast but the ship doesn't.

It might be faster to dredge a bypass canal around it rather then trying to free it.

JL..............
    Last edited by JoeLee; 03-27-2021, 01:16 PM.

Comment

All they have to do is dam the canal on both sides of the ship, then pump enough water in to float it 😀

Comment

I know this is an odd question coming from me due to my excessive alcohol consumption, but this is turning out to be far more than just a typical "fender bender" and as much as i hate to be a party pooper the question beckons to be asked,,, any "beer stops" along the way? and last but not least --- did they pick up any women???

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
          I would think that all those computer controlled navigational side thrusters would have kept that ship from wandering as it did. . . .
          There is a 3400-HP side-thruster on each side of the bow. Although that might seem like a lot, it evidently was far from what was needed to counter the windage force on the port beam, blowing against such a massive stack of containers.

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post
            All they have to do is dam the canal on both sides of the ship, then pump enough water in to float it 😀
            Why can't they water jet away the earth on both sides of the bow and stern?

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandGB View Post

Are the belligerents in the area taking notes on how disruptive this even has been?
              remember, the canal WAS closed from 1967 to 1970-something. The people who are supposed to pay attention to these things have not forgot.

Comment

Its truly amazing how many experts we have on here on piloting a 200, 000 ton vessel..!
                as they say in the free advice industry... Urine good hands with this bunch.....

Comment

You'e come to the right place - we can fix anything and know everything... even more than all the generals combined...

Comment

Maybe they could put some airbags under the ship and inflate them. They raise shipwrecks from the bottom of the sea and launch new ships from the land that way.
                    Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                      Its truly amazing how many experts we have on here on piloting a 200, 000 ton vessel..!
                      as they say in the free advice industry... Urine good hands with this bunch.....
                      Nobody hiring anyone on here to do it...... (I hope).

But, quite a few people probably have a reasonable understanding of the basic issue, since many have actually steered a small boat.... I think I could guarantee it don't get easier when the vessel gets larger...... but the issues are going to be somewhat similar.

Don't really see the benefit of hating on folks who ask/suggest/discuss.

Any towboat pilots here? Merchant marine folks? It could be helpful to hear from them.
                      2801 3147 6749 8779 4900 4900 4900

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

What if people start hoarding toilet paper again? might have to drag up that old posts about the guy wiping his butt with a mop ------------- ?

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                          I held a 500 ton Masters license for years before I retired. That's pretty close to 200000.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Nobody hiring anyone on here to do it...... (I hope).
                            A marine salvage company has already been contracted and is on the scene.

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post

I held a 500 ton Masters license for years before I retired. That's pretty close to 200000.
                              Bravo ---- it's nice to know there's so many people on this site we do indeed have an expert for just about everything....

I do have a question for you and im being dead serious,,,,,,, why don't these ships tip over, I mean just look at them,,, I don't get it at all...

The main reason I ask this is because when you see them front or back dead on and draw a line from one top corner to the other bottom "estimated" corner your coming up with way more than a 45 degree angle,,, might be fine for standing something rectangular like that on the ground but at sea? guess the hull outweighs the steel boxes and goods by a great margin...
                              Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 03-27-2021, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

Bravo ---- it's nice to know there's so many people on this site we do indeed have an expert for just about everything....

I do have a question for you and im being dead serious,,,,,,, why don't these ships tip over, I mean just look at them,,, I don't get it at all...
                                It's all about the center of gravity, the center of buoyancy, and the metacenter height. I think container ships have a lot of the containers below the center of gravity.

Comment

Working...
                                X