Container Ship Stuck In The Suez Canal OT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elf View Post

The ship was traveling at +12knots. When the bow was stopped by the bank, the stern kept going. Similar to driving on ice when the rear wheels overtake the front.
    WOW --- that's allot faster then I ever would have thought but guessed right on the effect of the arss end trying to swap sides ---- yup --- she's jammed tighter than a pearl in a clam shell. (my best effort at sea talk) that's why if towed I suggested to drag her out by the stern...

Elf --- how much power of another barge to do so ? three in series ???

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
      There has been some consideration to a railway alternative to the Suez canal. Maybe this incident might jump start the project.

https://www.d2dlogistics.net/israel-...ve-suez-canal/

https://www.railfreight.com/railfrei...l/?gdpr=accept

And also for the Panama Canal

https://www.railfreight.com/railfrei...l/?gdpr=accept

There were also proposals to build a multi-track railway to carry ships over land without using canal technology.

http://www.catskillarchive.com/rrextra/pcsa1.Html

Click image for larger version  Name:	pcsa1fc.jpg Views:	60 Size:	119.9 KB ID:	1936093
      Yeah, I can see a rail road taking the place of the canal but......... aren't all those containers mostly coming from china?? So what happens when they reach the canal?
      Off load all the containers to flat bed rails, transport them to the other end of the canal and load them back on another ship?? Not seeing the practicality of it.
      Can't get to the US by rail.

Latest news is they did nudge it a bit but the tide washed out so they had to stop. Hope for a full moon.

JL..................
      Last edited by JoeLee; 03-27-2021, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
        Yeah, I can see a rail road taking the place of the canal but......... aren't all those containers mostly coming from china?? So what happens when they reach the canal?
        Off load all the containers to flat bed rails, transport them to the other end of the canal and load them back on another ship?? Not seeing the practicality of it.
        Especially since the Panama Canal expansion is finished and Post Panamax container ships have been making the transit for awhile now. In fact the first ship though the new locks was Chinese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xal3Pd6yjZs

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

WOW --- that's allot faster then I ever would have thought but guessed right on the effect of the arss end trying to swap sides ---- yup --- she's jammed tighter than a pearl in a clam shell. (my best effort at sea talk) that's why if towed I suggested to drag her out by the stern...

Elf --- how much power of another barge to do so ? three in series ???
          There are a few high horsepower salvage tugs roaming the world, but it's hard to say how far from the Suez canal they are.

Comment

Latest news is they did nudge it a bit but the tide washed out so they had to stop. Hope for a full moon.

JL..................
            Every container does not go to US

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

None of those, I think. They are all for the EU or UK.

Why go thru the canal when there is a fine big ocean between china and the US west coast, with a direct path?

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

It's just a box of rain, I don't know who put it there.

Comment

Not to forget that China also has a rail link to Europe including regular trainloads of car parts and CKD kits.

Comment

This link provides an interesting insight into the reality of life on the bridge of a ship in the Suez Canal:
                  https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...canal-blockage

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

None of those, I think. They are all for the EU or UK.

Why go thru the canal when there is a fine big ocean between china and the US west coast, with a direct path?
                    Or go around cape town as you have no business in mediterranean. Or so I though.
                    https://globalmaritimehub.com/contai...ape-route.html

apparently it cost close to 1 million usd in fees for ships to pass Suez canal. Panama canal fees must be really high as this mentions Suez as more cost effective option to US east coast ecen if Panama option would be nearly 1 week faster. https://www.shiplilly.com/blog/ocean...ew-and-routes/

I was trying to find a breakdown of shipping volumes via different routes to US but wasnt able to find anything.

Comment

I was trying to find a breakdown of shipping volumes via different routes to US but wasnt able to find anything.
                      It matters a great deal where in the US the load arrives. Rail is a little cheaper than truck, but ship is a lot cheaper than rail. to ship China then rail from LA to NY would likely more the double the transportation costs of a container vs by sea direct to NY

For example, last time I looked, it was as much to move a container from Vancouver to Toronto as it was to ship the container from Hong Kong to Montreal
                      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

From this mornings news (New York times )
                        - the stern has been freed from the sand
                        - they managed to shift the ship a bit (“2 degrees, about 100 feet”)
                        - there is one of those huge dredgers (super sized vacuum cleaner) hard at work sucking about 2000 cubic meters of material an hour out from under the ship
                        - the ship is sagging in the middle and divers are constantly checking for cracks/etc.
                        - equipment is on the way to pump out as much oil and ballast water as they can before Monday.
                        - Monday is a very high spring tide that will raise the water level an additional 18”. They are hoping to float it then. If not.....
                        - if they can’t float it, heavy cranes and heavy lift helicopters to remove containers.

Comment

No every container doesn't but from this chart a lot of them do. https://globalmaritimehub.com/contai...ape-route.html

JL..............

Comment

Or go around cape town as you have no business in mediterranean. Or so I though.
                            https://globalmaritimehub.com/contai...ape-route.html

apparently it cost close to 1 million usd in fees for ships to pass Suez canal. Panama canal fees must be really high as this mentions Suez as more cost effective option to US east coast ecen if Panama option would be nearly 1 week faster. https://www.shiplilly.com/blog/ocean...ew-and-routes/

It was said that their biggest fear about going around the cape is pirates!
                            You know those little red necks in the tiny boats that bring these huge ships to a halt and then demand millions in ransom. Rather than blow them out of the water the corporate sheep fold and pay them. No big deal as the cost is probably passed along to the consumer.

JL................

Comment

It was said that their biggest fear about going around the cape is pirates!
                              it would be interesting to hear from someone who knows about this stuff. The worst of the piracy is east Africa around Somalia (using the Suez canal causes you to go right through the area) and west Africa. In either location, a vector from the Far East/Cape of Good Hope/North America would seem to bypass all the pirate hot spots. It does add 10 days and the seas there are notoriously dangerous...no idea the affect of that on these giant container ships. Latest news has ships steaming that direction, giving up on the Suez
                              Last edited by Mcgyver; 03-28-2021, 09:33 AM.
                              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by fjk View Post
                                From this mornings news (New York times )
                                - the stern has been freed from the sand
                                - they managed to shift the ship a bit (“2 degrees, about 100 feet”)
                                - there is one of those huge dredgers (super sized vacuum cleaner) hard at work sucking about 2000 cubic meters of material an hour out from under the ship
                                - the ship is sagging in the middle and divers are constantly checking for cracks/etc.
                                - equipment is on the way to pump out as much oil and ballast water as they can before Monday.
                                - Monday is a very high spring tide that will raise the water level an additional 18”. They are hoping to float it then. If not.....
                                - if they can’t float it, heavy cranes and heavy lift helicopters to remove containers.

18" is huge!!! if they got it to move as is then with all the vacuuming between now and monday and all the weight their getting out of it I would think she'll finally be free, now if it don't break up once they get it out I guess... what a fustercluck!

Comment

Working...
                                X