Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting previous oopsie with the Ever Given

Comment

• Am I the only one initially confused by the name of the ship "Ever Given" having the word "Evergreen" prominently displayed on the sides?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/ever...ship-1.5366697
      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• That makes two of us Paul.

Comment

• Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
          Am I the only one initially confused by the name of the ship "Ever Given" having the word "Evergreen" prominently displayed on the sides?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/ever...ship-1.5366697
          Evergreen is the company, Evergiven is the ship.

Steve

Comment

• Yes. The ship's name is on both sides of the bow and on the stern. The company name is on the side.

Edit: dangit, DD got the holeshot, at least I made the podium

Comment

• I suspect Evergreen shipping company probably has several ships named "Ever <this>" and "Ever <that>"

I think the main idea behind naming boats, as well as race horses, is to prompt puzzlement and head scratching.
              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post
                Interesting previous oopsie with the Ever Given

Bit of a tail clip there ehh? it's interesting, just before that the ship was what I would consider a "crab drift" or whatever as it was doing what I imagined what it would have to do in heavy cross winds... it was set up slightly diagonal but going straight....

Comment

• Originally posted by fjk View Post
                  I’ve only found one statement of the ships displacement - 240,000 tons (which is just about 1/4 million, not 1/4 billion - still big though!)
                  -You're right. Missed a decimal or two there.

Doc.
                  Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

• Originally posted by lynnl View Post
                    The ship Captain wasn't the one driving the boat. The SCA (Suez Canal Authority) puts aboard their own specially trained and knowledgeable (supposedly) Pilots to take the ships through the canal.
                    -The Captain still commands the boat, the Pilot advises.

The "pilot" is in effect a person more familiar with a particular waterway- how the currents flow, how fast the tides change, hidden obstacles like rocks, old piers or wrecks, etc. He basically tells the Captain where they need to go- or where not to go- and the Captain tells the ship/crew how to do it.

In this case the ship is so large and the canal so comparatively narrow, that their margin of error is razor thin. By the time either captain or pilot knew there was a problem, it was already too late.

Doc.

Comment

• I saw on another site that the pilot/captain was moving at 15 knots which is pretty fast. This is to get enough speed for the rudder to work. They obviously weren't counting on such a cross wind that blew them off course. And at that speed it takes a forever or two to stop one that big. At that point with the wind, it stuck the nose in the dirt. Then the wind pushed it around.

You can bet that from now on the biggies will have lots of tugs on both sides helping it steer all or most of the way through the suez if the winds are above x velocity.

Comment

• Originally posted by I make chips View Post
                        You can bet that from now on the biggies will have lots of tugs on both sides helping it steer all or most of the way through the suez if the winds are above x velocity.
                        I have not seen any reportage indicating there WEREN'T tugs already, as there are in the Panama Canal and the similar tight waterways of NY Harbor. Some stories I saw seem to indicate the wind story is crumbling.

Comment

• Why would it be crumbling? There's charts showing both the sustained and gust wind speed peaked right during the grounding. I fully agree we can't discount the possibility of human error, but again, given the razor thin margins of error for a ship that big in a canal that narrow, and the glacial reaction times of that monstrous a ship, the main wonder is that it doesn't happen more often.

Doc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doc Nickel View Post
                            Why would it be crumbling?
                            Doc.
                            I brought this up way back and nobody has answered ---- any booze stops along the way ? what about picking up females ? go back in history to all the "great wrecks" and I can assure you at least 75% of them involved the two previous mentioned in one way or another --- and at least 50% involved BOTH...

Comment

• Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                              I brought this up way back and nobody has answered ---- any booze stops along the way ?
                              -I can only speculate, but considering we knew Hazelwood was drunk within a couple hours of the Valdez grounding, and that Egypt is a Muslim/Arab country with a heavy prohibition on alcohol, I'd suspect that if that was the case, we'd have known right away.

As it is, I've seen very little focused on the captain or pilot, leading me to believe no one's found anything specific to pin on them, beyond "you screwed up".

Doc.

Comment

• Could not help but notice that you skipped the female factor in which case if your married and she checks up on you nothing more then a brilliant survival tactic...

that being said... Im waiting for the full breakdown and biting my tongue on this one...

Comment

Working...
                                X