Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasturn
    replied
    A guy made big money shaping extrusion dies. Other than that I cant imagine owning one ? The chips / swarf are a real pain.

Years back tool steel jumped by 1 inch thickness on some.
    The Shaper / Planer was a cheap way to knock it down. We dont have that problem today, so no need for this machine. Collecting old machines is a different story.
    Last edited by Fasturn; 04-04-2021, 08:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• I make chips
    replied
    An old timer told me a small bag of lead shot wired to the shaper head stops vibration. Haven't seen it and I have never ran one.

Leave a comment:

• SVS
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	D23211CA-302B-4692-A544-FAC36DC0258E.jpeg
Views:	159
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	1936219

One of the first “jobs” done on my 14” G&E. Short, fast strokes and a “rubber snubber” are keys to success.....

Leave a comment:

• Bob La Londe
    replied
    Ok, you may have finally sold me. If I can find an affordable shaper within reasonable driving distance I might just get one for shaking paint cans.

Leave a comment:

• I make chips
    replied
    I had a gallon can of old paint that was getting stiff. I poured some thinner in it and closed it up. I put it in the 4 jaw at a cocked angle at a slow speed and let it oscillate for a half hour and it was good as new.

Playing off barracudajoe, there was quite the delinquent in my wood shop class. The school had a very nice pro grade monster planer. One of those beefy all cast iron things that even at 480 volts took a while to wind up to full revs. They had just spent a lot of money changing the blades and getting them set up with dial indicators etc. and our hour was the first to get to use it as it was down for ~a month. Well, said delinquent took a board about a foot wide and pounded nails into it and sent it through the planer. Oh god the noise. The teacher grabbed him by the shirt and his feet didn't touch the floor all the way to the principal's office. I think he was suspended for a few weeks. The planer wasn't fixed for the year as it sucked the repairs budget dry.

Leave a comment:

• boslab
    replied
    Seen a few with bending dies for hot bar, hell of a quick return, the big Cincinnati in work was a bloody monster but I do beleive the open side planer was the best, awesome finish, I have a small slotting machine, it’s really surprising what you can do with a slotter, it’s just a baby shaper I suppose
    mark

Leave a comment:

• Cenedd
    replied
    Originally posted by MrWhoopee View Post

Great minds......

How about modifying it to serve as a power hack-saw?
    Surely something for 'nailing' things if we're going down that route!

Leave a comment:

• MrWhoopee
    replied
    Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
    Black Forest Works well....but unfortunately looks like you're going into a different sort of industry there - a popular off-shoot of the film industry
    Great minds......

How about modifying it to serve as a power hack-saw?

Leave a comment:

• true temper
    replied
    I have a nice 7” Logan that needs to find a new home taking up too much space to shake paint.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    That has gotta be the single biggest example of overkill that I have ever seen in a shop.

AND I want one!

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    That made me smile and chuckle. A bit silly but don't we all need a little silliness at times? And it looks so serious while shaking the can too. Nicely done BF!

Leave a comment:

• barracudajoe
    replied
    Way back in the day when I was in high school we had a fairly large shaper. This would be 1971-72 so the make is unknown to me today. Anyway the machine was not anchored to the concrete floor and who knows how long it had been there but the school was built in 1968 so it may have been placed there then. Over some time a good amount of oil had run off of the machine and worked it's way under the base. I had a little project to do on it and I was playing around with the speeds and discovered that if I set it on the highest speed the base would move back and forth moving about 1/2 of the total stroke! I thought that was really funny with the head going one way and the base the other and I just had to call my friends over to watch it sliding back and forth. Another thing that was popular to do was to flip the lathe direction switch from FWD to REV and back to hear the belts squeal until one of my classmates spun the chuck off and it took off across the floor. How our teacher didn't go crazy trying watch over 15 of us demons is beyond me!

Leave a comment:

• mickeyf
    replied
    More than once, I have thought about using it for a jar of (natural, no emulsifiers of course) Peanut Butter.

Leave a comment:

• Ian B
    replied
    Looks good to me. Next time, leave the lid off the tin of paint, and you can paint the shaper (and half of your workshop) at the same time.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• alanganes
    replied
    Who says you can't make money with a shaper!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X