It was going so well...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post

Ouch. That was not the expected problem. Made me laugh a little.
    The explosive charge had been removed. But these spheres are a strange design. The floatation bag on each side inflates to about 5 feet in diameter. The sphere which has the explosive charge in it (about 2 1/2" diameter and 3" long is fired into the sphere through a burst disc. The sphere is part filled with liquid CO2 and some acetone. The sudden increase in pressure and heat ruptures a second burst disc and the gases inflate the floatation bag. There is no way to depressurise the sphere unless you CAREFULLY drill a 1/16" hole in the wall and let the CO2 and acetone out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post

I can see that happening.
      A perfectly good part aside from the right hand thread, I successfully made the next 52 parts left handed.
      The thread was the last operation so I made 3 extra just in case.

One other bit of knowledge that may be gleaned from such an operation is that many lathe controls have a default "thread approach angle" of 29 1/2-30 degrees, if not set to 0 degrees the tool will likely hit the shoulder when threading from left to right unless there is a substantial undercut before the shoulder.
      Last edited by Bented; 03-30-2021, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X