HELP !! Electrical guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP !! Electrical guys

Recently I decided to try and get one of my favorite drills working again. Vintage (1960's) Craftsmen (King Seely mf'd) 1/4" electric drill, model "80" model number 315-7701. It's the classic all-aluminum 1/4" craftsman.

I have used it before (briefly) and I know the motor and brushes are good -- very good. One day it simply quit. The trigger switch no longer "snapped". I got out the DMM in the trigger switch was indeed the problem. Trouble is there is no way I can find a replacement. I've been looking all over. Modern replacements are too large generally -- this old switch is 1/2 the size, and it incorporates the little "lock on" button.

I managed to get the switch apart, figuring something was probably jammed or gummed, or just not making contact. So.... any ideas how to get this little beast back together? Or better still, an equivalent replacement? I been looking *all* over..... my favorite drill....

HELP

EDIT: I might have just found one on eBay. I never thought I would pay $30 for a switch. Not 100% that it is correct, but it is the same general size and manufacturer .We will see when it comes in...
    Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 03-28-2021, 08:32 PM.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

You can look for sizes when browsing the Digikey site. That may do the trick when replacing.

Getting it back together? Good luck. so much depends on materials and what you did to open up the switch.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

My guess is either a sping broke or the contacts in the switch have a carbon build up from arcing. What did you find when you took the switch to pieces? Hopefully the one from eBay fits.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
        My guess is either a sping broke or the contacts in the switch have a carbon build up from arcing. What did you find when you took the switch to pieces? Hopefully the one from eBay fits.
        The springs all seemed OK. There was a few decades of just crud on there, I cleaned it all out and shined up the contacts with a fine Swiss file. The other contact part is tungsten, so I cleaned it in alcohol and scrubbed it. It is very non-obvious how it is supposed to work if it all goes back together in the way that it looks like it should.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
          You can look for sizes when browsing the Digikey site. That may do the trick when replacing.

Getting it back together? Good luck. so much depends on materials and what you did to open up the switch.

Dan
          Removed two rivets and it pops open. Just a steel shell with bakelite parts and springs inside. I finally found a manufacturer: Arrow-Hart (AH)

Comment

It never fails to astound me when parts my own age are described as "vintage". Although the look to be much better built than the plastic wonders of today.

Comment

Pic?

There should be some fairly obvious issue, it may take looking at it correctly.
              4357 2773 5647 3671 3645 0087 1276

CNC machines only go through the motions

"There's no pleasing these serpents"......Lewis Carroll

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                Pic?

There should be some fairly obvious issue, it may take looking at it correctly.
                Can I get back to you in the morning with that? Getting late here.

Comment

My father's 1/4" electric drill I remember using when I was a kid had an ordinary toggle switch for the trigger. Yours must be a newer vintage!
                  http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                  Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Someone mentioned Digi-Key. They probably have one that would both work and fit. The problem is you are going to have to look at thousands of spec. sheets to find it. Good luck there. But you do have the manufacturer's name so that will narrow it down.

Oh, and it shouldn't cost $30 there. More like $5.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Yea, Digi-key is amazing. And yes, thousands of pages... I highly doubt they will have a 60-yr old power tool trigger switch tho. It looks like I could adapt a industrial lever switch, but I'm trying to avoid that. Given the small size of the original, I'm thinking they had these switches made for their product under contract.

EDIT: I just found it. The OEM switch brand new from a distributor. They want $50 for it.

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                      Someone mentioned Digi-Key. They probably have one that would both work and fit. The problem is you are going to have to look at thousands of spec. sheets to find it. Good luck there. But you do have the manufacturer's name so that will narrow it down.

Oh, and it shouldn't cost $30 there. More like $5.
                      Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 03-29-2021, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Found it !!! (holy crap, $50 for a switch ?????) https://wellgainelectronics.com/trig...er-switch.html

Comment

If you could put it together so at least in makes contact or some kind of switch arrangement to retain the original mechanical function..
                          You could try using the contacts to switch in a Triac, you only need that and a resistor, I assume the original did not have speed control?
                          Did you confirm the contacts are definitely not making?
                          Max.

Comment

Make a switch box or switch plate that you can use for the switches you can find.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mill Drill Switch.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1936433
                            *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Alternatively hardwire and use a plug n play foot switch.
                              *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Working...
                              X