Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Absolute insanity, a TV in a mailed advertisement

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
    Any of you guys actually seen, in person, a single undamaged button-cell lithium battery cause a fire? Because I've tried to get them to go off through abuse, but all I get is a hiss and a stink.
    Have you never seen a piece of mail that has been squashed, impacted, bent, etc in the mail?

    It is certainly possible that a multi-cell might develop more heat, but such a battery is made up of single cells.... unless they must all conspire to go off at once, a single cell can start a fire.

    Packed in among other pieces of mail, it would be thermally insulated and able to overheat.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 03-31-2021, 04:36 PM.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

    Comment


    • #32
      I find this hardly surprising Tears, the current generation that are now 20 years old have experienced a majority of their lives receiving all information that they consume from screens.
      TV and the interweb.

      Newspapers, magazines and the postal service are all in a bit of a decline, I will not live long enough but it would be interesting to see where print media is in 20 years.

      Now get off my lawn (-:

      Comment


      • #33
        Speaking of Lithium batteries, I had bought an electric bike for John, and he rode it for a week or so until one day he smelled smoke and found that the charging port of the battery pack had melted. The battery itself still was OK. The vendor will be sending a replacement, but meanwhile I ordered a couple spare connectors which were just shipped (from China, of course). I also found that there was still full 35 volt battery voltage on the wires to the connector, so apparently the charging port is not fused. I cut the wires and spliced in a small 3.15A 125V fuse. I'm not sure if it's rated for 35 VDC but it's surely safer than how it was. It is uncertain how this mishap occurred, but probably he had left the port uncovered and something got in there and shorted it out. There is residue inside the opening where the connector is, but the cover inside is clean.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	Vivi_eBike_battery_6704.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	1936797
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Vivi_eBike_battery_6700.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1936798
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Vivi_eBike_battery_6706.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1936795
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Vivi_eBike_battery_6708.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1936796
        The in-line fuse:

        Click image for larger version

Name:	Vivi_eBike_battery_6709.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1936799
        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
        USA Maryland 21030

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          . . .Have you never seen a piece of mail that has been squashed, impacted, bent, etc in the mail? . . .
          Did you see what I wrote? The USPS has never done to mail what I've done to those button-cells. The most I ever got from one was from squishing it in a vise. Hiss, stink, done. That was a 2032, haven't tried others but I've tried a few of those. Hammer, chisel, press, whatever. One at a time they're anemic.

          Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          . . . a single cell can start a fire. . .
          I agree that a single cell of the type used to build phone-packs, etc, can start a fire. I just don't think a button-cell can. They're mechanically and chemically quite different.
          Last edited by chipmaker4130; 03-31-2021, 07:39 PM.
          Southwest Utah

          Comment


          • #35
            It's true that lithium button cells have very little energy, but they are way different from the Li-Po or Li-Ion rechargeable pouch cells like the one in Jerry's TV.

            https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/N...ery.ashx?la=en

            https://www.sdle.co.il/wp-content/up...ecret-ver2.pdf

            https://www.powermag.com/lithium-ion...l-fire-hazard/

            https://www.robsonforensic.com/artic...expert-witness



            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
              . . .t's true that lithium button cells have very little energy, but they are way different from the Li-Po or Li-Ion rechargeable pouch cells like the one in Jerry's TV. . .
              Yeah, that's what I was trying to say above.

              Southwest Utah

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post

                Did you see what I wrote? The USPS has never done to mail what I've done to those button-cells. The most I ever got from one was from squishing it in a vise. Hiss, stink, done. That was a 2032, haven't tried others but I've tried a few of those. Hammer, chisel, press, whatever. One at a time they're anemic.



                I agree that a single cell of the type used to build phone-packs, etc, can start a fire. I just don't think a button-cell can. They're mechanically and chemically quite different.
                Did you look at the pics?

                Button, button, who has the button?.......... I cannot see any button cell in there. There is a larger cell in it, however. Look above the speaker that you have mistaken for a button cell.......
                CNC machines only go through the motions

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                  . . .Did you look at the pics? . . .
                  Not really. Just zipped by them! I was thinking the 'tv' was formatted more like the typical singing birthday card, etc. I shall repent.

                  Southwest Utah

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X