Lisle 91000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lisle 91000

Was not my favorite dirt cheap price, but this popped up on Offer Up about a 30 minute drive from my house for $350. No dresser or magnetic stick out gauge, but I can make those. Rest is there, and looks barely used. I see people asking ridiculous prices on eBay, so I thought the price was reasonable. I want to see if I like it better than the Darex M1 I have. I really need to stop looking at Craigslist and Offer Up. My purchases for my shop are getting out of hand.

I had someone give me the drill holder portion for free, bought the base only on eBay for, $75 works good, not as pretty as yours
    Ed
    Agua Dulce, So.California
    1950 F1 street rod
    1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
    1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed
    1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame have a 4BT cummins motor, NV4500
    1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor, king coil-overs,P/S

Comment

Originally posted by Ed ke6bnl View Post
      I had someone give me the drill holder portion for free, bought the base only on eBay for, $75 works good, not as pretty as yours
      Pretty does not matter if it works. Seems to be no shortage of these that are missing the holder. What are your opinions on this machine having used one?

Comment

I've had one of those for years. It works great, actually, it's just kind of a pain to keep re-setting it for different diameter drills. I found that for non-critical jobs, I could do a quick touch-up faster on a bench grinder than that unit, and now that I have a good belt grinder- which doesn't need dressing to stay square- I hardly use it at all anymore. I save up a small basket of dull drills, and when I have the time, I set up the belt grinder with a semi-fine belt, get out the drill-tip angle gage and knock out a couple dozen in a go.

Doc.
        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Originally posted by junkaddict View Post

Pretty does not matter if it works. Seems to be no shortage of these that are missing the holder. What are your opinions on this machine having used one?
          I like it for my bigger drill 3/8 to up to 1 1/4 in does a nice job. Would be no problem to make the diamond wheel truer.
          Ed
          Agua Dulce, So.California
          1950 F1 street rod
          1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
          1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed
          1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame have a 4BT cummins motor, NV4500
          1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor, king coil-overs,P/S

Comment

Originally posted by Ed ke6bnl View Post

I like it for my bigger drill 3/8 to up to 1 1/4 in does a nice job. Would be no problem to make the diamond wheel truer.
            -The Lisle unit is self-truing, as it slides the drill across the face of the wheel.

The factory wheel is pretty soft, presumably both to improve the self-truing and to reduce the likelihood of burning a tip.

Doc.
            Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Lisle sells the missing parts, I had one and it was missing a few things and their prices were good. I can't say I really cared for the grinder itself. It works but kind of a pain to set up.

Comment

Lisle currently has very few parts for the machine. Really nothing that isn't a very simple part or off-the-shelf hardware. Unlike a claim made elsewhere, they have no drawings of any parts or assemblies.

Comment

Betcha' a nickle you end up not using it much at all. I've got one too, and everything the others have said is spot-on. If you have a lot of same-size drills to grind you're in luck, otherwise it'll gather dust between those rare jobs when you need a perfect grind worth the time. 99% of my drills are done by hand a LOT faster and plenty good for most things.
                  Southwest Utah

Comment

The best thing about the &*%$#@! Drill Doctor was the fact that you could "set it up" for any size drill so easily. There was really nothing to "set up".

The Darex in the other thread may or may not be like that, but it looks very similar, just with metal collets and construction.

This one looks like it has many steps to set up, which starts it out with several demerits. Anything that takes some time to set up will not be used much except for high dollar items.
                    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

is the rotating axis parallel to the axis of the wheel? that does not produce a correct grind.

Comment

I had a Lisle, complete except the magnet to set stick out. Lisle didn't have that part, but their knowledgeable tech said it wasn't necessary anyway.

Paid 75 bucks for it at an estate sale. It sat on a shelf for at least 10 years until I sold it for $275. They appear to be a sought after item.

I spent a lot of time getting used to the settings, but as others have said there are too many adjustments to make it worthwhile to sharpen a single drill. What I especially didn't like was the drill had to be unclamped to do the second edge. My SRD is very quick to do a drill, put the drill in the fixture, align with a mark on the fixture and grind, flip the holding fixture to do the other edge.

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
                          is the rotating axis parallel to the axis of the wheel? that does not produce a correct grind.
                          No, its not. And the device makes a proper grind, it just takes forever to set up.
                          Southwest Utah

Comment

at what angle is it? can you show a ground drill from the side?

Comment

I will grind a drill on it and post a pic of it. I looked up SRD, nice machine. More than I want to shell out at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X